Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trappist Yeasts  (Read 25192 times)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Re: Trappist Yeasts
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2017, 07:28:44 am »
And I am already planning on making a regular Grain Beer with Bananas in it, as well as a Saison or something. Not positive yet, but since I like Esters, that seems to be like the best option.

Not first or anything, but I will be making them eventually. So I will eventually be using those Beer Yeasts for Beer, I will just use them with Wine/Cider/Bananas first.

Big Monk

« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2017, 07:30:36 am »
And I am already planning on making a regular Grain Beer with Bananas in it, as well as a Saison or something. Not positive yet, but since I like Esters, that seems to be like the best option.

Not first or anything, but I will be making them eventually. So I will eventually be using those Beer Yeasts for Beer, I will just use them with Wine/Cider/Bananas first.

And we have suggested more than a few times that using them for anything other than beer is waste. Neutral dry ale yeast is cheaper.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2017, 07:42:21 am »

And we have suggested more than a few times that using them for anything other than beer is waste. Neutral dry ale yeast is cheaper.

Where is the thread where someone used Trappist Yeast and Pineapples? Doesn't exist? Didn't think so. I am pretty sure I am going to be doing a few things no one has ever done before, and I am going to see what happens, not just accept speculation.

You guys said in the Enartis thread "You say we are just judging a Yeast we have never seen, but isn't that what you are doing?". And no, that is not what I was doing. I was gathering information on the Yeast, posting it, and making educated guesses as to what would happen based on the information from the company that makes the Yeast, and everything else I could find about it. You guys were the ones judging a Yeast you had never seen, based on your gut feelings. And this is kind of the same, you think "Beer is not the same as Wine with precursors" and you are right, but you are acting like it is impossible that it would do something good. How do you know Pears or Pineapples or Grapes don't have something in them that will make Trappist Yeast create a Strawberry taste instead of Plum? I am just going to see what happens.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2017, 07:46:16 am »
I don't think people were complaining about the yeast. People were simply pointing out that there are options for <$1 with known properties and proven results vs pissing away $50 on enough yeast to ferment 250 gallons of wine must.

When you get the bricks, be careful to avoid contaminating them with wild yeast, bacteria or spores.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:16 am »
Just as an example of how common this is for me (again, people steal ideas from me all the time and I never run out or have hard feelings, because I am good at creating new things, I don't burn out in creating, ever), I am also on a Tobacco Forum that I joined because I am also growing Tobacco now, not just making Alcohol regularly, and I already grow Marijuana and am growing Peppers and Wild Dagga and everything.

But on the Tobacco website they have access to Tobacco Genus, but different species from Australia. And people have known about these things for over 100 years, and not a single person on that website is mixing these strains together, and I have not seen anyone else online doing it. This is something that would have been pretty easy to do over the past 100 years by just growing 2 plants next to each other. But it seems like no one thought to try it.

Maybe you guys are right and these Yeasts won't make good Wine. But unless you have tried it with different kinds of fruit, you can't really know.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2017, 07:53:10 am »
I don't think people were complaining about the yeast. People were simply pointing out that there are options for <$1 with known properties and proven results vs pissing away $50 on enough yeast to ferment 250 gallons of wine must.

When you get the bricks, be careful to avoid contaminating them with wild yeast, bacteria or spores.

1. I want Esters, and these people seem to have great Esters, it's basically what their Yeast is for if you go through the site.
2. I need enough for 250 Gallons, I am making 55+ Gallons at a time.
3. I am going to give some of the Yeast away so people can start culturing it and spreading it, and I will propagate it myself.

You guys are going to have to get over that one.

Offline Stevie

Trappist Yeasts
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2017, 08:11:20 am »
Nobody said it won't make good wine. Simply pointing out the beer flavor descriptions may not apply.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2017, 08:40:21 am »
Nobody said it won't make good wine. Simply pointing out the beer flavor descriptions may not apply.

And I basically just keep saying over and over "I get it".

Offline Stevie

« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2017, 09:27:58 am »
Then stop saying people are complaining and just waiting to steal your ideas. Do your thing and let us know how it works out.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2017, 12:04:30 pm »
Then stop saying people are complaining and just waiting to steal your ideas. Do your thing and let us know how it works out.

You guys do keep complaining. This time (last night) this discussion literally started with me saying "Big Monk said not to do it, but I am going to do it anyways since no one else has" and you guys come in here complaining as if I am not aware that Beer and Wine don't contain the same Molecules. I am right to say you guys are complaining, because you just keep complaining.

It's like no matter what, you guys are going to act like I don't know what I am doing. Notice only Denny and Big Monk have even really added anything, everyone else is just here acting like they are better than me or something. And I hate to disappoint you, but you aren't.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2017, 12:14:37 pm »
And I never said anyone was here to steal my ideas. I said that it happens all the time. People think they are open minded, until they start reading my stuff. And it usually makes people mad, like you guys are now. But then usually they start hiring Chemists and stuff to try to get someone that can think like me, or they just market my idea as if it is their own. And I share everything publically, so it's not like I'm mad. I still have plenty of ideas that no one is using yet, and know plenty more will come.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2017, 12:37:10 pm »
Btw, I think you guys have missed that this is part of something bigger. It's not like I'm brewing alcohol, and growing Marijuana, and growing Peppers, and growing Mint species, and growing Tobacco, etc. It is all one thing. This is all one big program. I am starting a Breeding Program and am breeding everything from Plants to Yeast, to eventually Frogs and Dogs. The Alcohol is just a bonus, and I am moving this Wednesday, so it will be good to have Alcohol to drink at the new house. But the ultimate goal of all of this is to create new species.

Eventually I even want to do things like Breed different Breeds of Ducks together, and then release like 10-20 at a time into selected areas. Kind of like how they bring Mongooses in to kill Snakes, or Cane Toads in to kill stuff, and usually that species ends up becoming native/invasive, like how weed are really just "Native Plants". So I want to do that, but with like Ducks and stuff. And having a bunch of cool Plants, and Brews, and Animals will just be a bonus. Right now I am just starting with a few plants and Yeast for now though.