Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer staling prematurely?  (Read 15965 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Beer staling prematurely?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 08:23:14 am »
I fasten the hose with a gear clamp.

I'm going to give this a try.  I was a little hesitant using one with the plastic cane but I'll just be careful how much I tighten it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 09:02:51 am »
Yes, I have cracked the cane before.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 09:28:34 am »
Yes, I have cracked the cane before.

I made my cane in 1994 out of stainless tube, bending it would even be an issue because its thick wall.

I gotta get set up so I can purge bottles with CO2 easier though.

Do they make a Cobra tap with an MFL fitting? That would be GREAT.
I suppose some epoxy and a "spare" QD would work but if anyone knows of a Cobra tap with an MFL I am all ears.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 09:33:27 am »
I guess I don't understand what's so hard about syphoning. Put a carboy on a table with the target vessel on the floor, fill a tube with water, hold your thumb over one end, put the other end in the source, hold the thumb end below the open end, then release your thumb. Drain the water into a glass, and then divert to the target when beer starts coming out. Very simple, and it doesn't shake air into anything. If you want to slow the rate, move the two ends of the tube closer to each other. If you want to stop the flow, raise the outflow end higher.

Finally, a voice of sanity!  This is what I do do...maybe that makes you the voice of insanity....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 12:55:00 pm »
That's me. Cheap and easy. I don't batch sparge and I don't like rye too much so I haven't drank the full glass of koolaid.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »
I guess I don't understand what's so hard about syphoning. Put a carboy on a table with the target vessel on the floor, fill a tube with water, hold your thumb over one end, put the other end in the source, hold the thumb end below the open end, then release your thumb. Drain the water into a glass, and then divert to the target when beer starts coming out. Very simple, and it doesn't shake air into anything. If you want to slow the rate, move the two ends of the tube closer to each other. If you want to stop the flow, raise the outflow end higher.

Finally, a voice of sanity!  This is what I do do...maybe that makes you the voice of insanity....

I guess its kinda nice to not have to put your hands, clean though they may be, over the opening of both ends that are going to be touching your beer.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »

I guess its kinda nice to not have to put your hands, clean though they may be, over the opening of both ends that are going to be touching your beer.

Maybe that's part of Gordon's secret.  ;D

A little Gordon in every pint.  :D
Ron Price

Offline shea-arne

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »
So.... Has the stale beer problem been fixed?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:29 pm »
That's me. Cheap and easy. I don't batch sparge and I don't like rye too much so I haven't drank the full glass of koolaid.

Well, you've at least started on the path to hell....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jwatkins56550

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »
I would start investing in a kegging system.  Do it slowly and it wont be so hard on the wallet.

Get your C02 first, and try flushing your bottling bucket with c02 before you put your beer in it...it cant hurt!

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 06:17:34 am »
So.... Has the stale beer problem been fixed?
I do not know if the problem is fixed (Unfortunately it will take a couple batches of beer and three to four months to tell), however, I have found that the caps or capper were an issue on the last batch, so I plan on running a test and see if the issue goes away.

Thanks,
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 06:24:42 am »
I'm just going to add that I absolutely LOVE my auto-siphon and they work great.

Have you noted what Fred was mentioning with the micro-bubble right at the top of the hose?  After reading that I paid closer attention the last time and noticed the same thing.

The thing about the autosiphon bubble that sometimes forms... I have not been able to establish if the bubble is air getting trapped, or CO2 coming out of solution and collecting. 

Something to think about if you are cranking your clamp so tight it is cracking your cane.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2010, 06:29:12 am »
FYI - I get no bubble. And I have cracked the cane before but it is not a weekly occurrence.  ;) These things don;t last forever, either. Usually mine lasts about a year to 18 months before it needs replaced.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:31:33 am by majorvices »

Offline shea-arne

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 02:32:15 pm »
Been reading that people have been having mixed experiences with their auto syphon... I've never used one myself, but i've seen here that an air bubble sometimes forms in the hose. My question is if this little airbubble in the hose is enough to "oxidize" the beer. Seems to me that that amount of O2 is quite minimal and shouldnt have a detectable affect on the beer. At least not enough to oxidize the beer within a couple of weeks... i would think!

If thats the case, this little staling beer problem seems to be a little mystery to me! Please keep us posted on how future batches turn out, wingnut!

If the problem is due to something in the brewing/fermenting process, or moving of the beer, it would be a little silly in spending a bunch of money on kegging equipment if the end result turns out the same. I currently only bottle my beers, and they have a shelf of about a year and counting. Dont think kegging will be a quick fix for this problem.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »
I can assure you that that little bubble of air has a pronounced oxidized impact on my big beers, in the MOST delightful way, and within a few weeks.  Develops luscious dark fruit and sherry notes.

Though this goes against everything I was ever taught about beer.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)