Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5 mother sauces  (Read 5784 times)

narvin

Re: 5 mother sauces
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 07:03:19 pm »
I use sodium metabisulfite and brewtan b in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you say that, when making pizza it's worth noting that active dry yeast contains ascorbic acid as an anti-oxidant.  And in small batch sizes, oxidation could still be a problem. Sorry, but you brought it up  :D

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/10/the-pizza-lab-how-to-make-great-new-york-style-pizza.html

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 05:58:48 am »
What we think of Indian Cuisine  actually is Euro-Centric itself due to its colonial past.
Learning sauce making techniques translates into any cuisine. Skill begets skill.
I disagree about tomatoes in bolagnese. There is plenty of tomato but it is reduced to its essence. That is actually a chief difference in Northern Italian vs French cooking which are otherwise related: the Italians use the thickening by reduction method, you never see a roux. An Italian creme sauce won't have any roux or starch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh that's my bad.. I was thinking Mariana.. but that's Italian.. I jumped from French sauce to Italian.  Duh...

Bolognese has tomato but calling it a "tomato sauce" is a disservice imo.  It is a rich meat sauce with some tomato, not the other way around  ;)

Yup.. I screwed that up. LOL

Now I'm not sure what you turn the French tomato sauce into, but I'm sure it becomes something....
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:26 am »
I need to get some of these down at some point. For me, my basic sauce is a simple pan sauce - deglaze with beer/stock/whiskey (carefully with the last one), then add from there. Whenever I have a pan that has some tasty bits stuck to the bottom, I can't not make a pan sauce from it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 10:42:37 am »
I need to get some of these down at some point. For me, my basic sauce is a simple pan sauce - deglaze with beer/stock/whiskey (carefully with the last one), then add from there. Whenever I have a pan that has some tasty bits stuck to the bottom, I can't not make a pan sauce from it.
I would agree, deglazing with whiskey is tough.  But you can't beat a rich red wine sauce.

I just want to up my game.  I have been at every level of the restaurant, and I have always struggled with a balanced sauce to go with my dishes.  A simple pan gravy, butter sauce, or béchamel is fine.  Making a rich brown sauce, or red wine demi has been a struggle. 

I would think if interested in Indian cuisine, its all about layers of flavor.  From curry sauce/paste to Tikka Masala to Mattar Paneer, you are building a very rich sauce.  That starts with a 'base' that gets layers of flavor.  Grinding fresh spices for a perfect garam masala or curry, is like a creole getting the trinity/roux just right.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:44:59 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)