Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cost of a Sixer?  (Read 10267 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Cost of a Sixer?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2017, 12:34:03 pm »
I realize that, it was a semi-rhetorical question. The issue is that people aren't discerning, and will pay those prices. The "old" prices would come back if folks stopped shelling out for over-priced beer.

Yup.  And they won't.

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »
I don't mind paying my local breweries $10 for a sixer.  Doesn't bother me at all.  They don't have the scale of the big boys and they generally brew better beer.  But I buy craft beer as a treat.  My daily drinkers are beers I brew.  If I didn't brew, I'd still find a cheaper alternative for daily consumption.  Think Bitburger, Genesee Cream Ale, etc. 
Since craft beer is more of a treat for me, I have no interest in 6 of the same beer.  If the breweries don't want to sell a mix -six, that's their prerogative.  I have other things to spend money on. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2017, 05:21:16 pm »
On a related note, what happened to being able to buy a case of beer?

Once upon a time, local stores offered cases (24 12oz bottles) for a small discount. Now everything gets sold by the six pack, and rarely the pure 12-pack.

I can still special-order a full case, but there's no longer a discount and of course it's a crap shoot if I'll get fresh beer or not. (And on a special order I may be stuck with it, as I was with a recent case of Saison Dupont a year past the drink by date...)

Until I worked at a brewery I always thought of a 12 pack as a "case".. just different nomenclature I reckon, had never heard the term cases from a volume standpoint.  The packaging guys at the brewery call the 12 packs "half packs" which I find somewhat amusing.  I've never bought anything through dock sales, but I would assume it's cheaper than the cost of two twelve packs at the grocery store.

Our brewery has dock sales where you can come in and buy 24 pack cases, but I feel like not a lot of places around here do that.  Bigger places, like the Widmers and Bridgeports, places like that. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 05:35:55 am »
I don't mind paying my local breweries $10 for a sixer.  Doesn't bother me at all.  They don't have the scale of the big boys and they generally brew better beer.  But I buy craft beer as a treat.  My daily drinkers are beers I brew.  If I didn't brew, I'd still find a cheaper alternative for daily consumption.  Think Bitburger, Genesee Cream Ale, etc. 
Since craft beer is more of a treat for me, I have no interest in 6 of the same beer.  If the breweries don't want to sell a mix -six, that's their prerogative.  I have other things to spend money on. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

The issue is I wouldn't drink many of the beers local to me if you gave me the beers, they're awful. The closest craft brewery to me is a brewpub, only sells in house, and their prices are very reasonable: $4.50-$5, depending on the strength of the beer.

I do realize that some place price things the way they do because they have to, but there's certainly some level of consumer-based hype that's driving prices to unreasonable levels. I'd love to know what percentage of some of the sale prices the breweries actually see, I'm betting many markups just benefit the store or distributor. The latter has my ire, they're killing beer in MD.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:59 am »
   In Utah, all non grocery beer is sold by the one pack, the ultimate in variety. Whadda country!

I gotta get me to Utah!   :o :o

Make sure you get a round-trip ticket, you'll be glad you did.  ;)
   Ah, c-mon guys, Utah aint that bad. I don't wanna live there myself cuz I'm not into the whole theocracy thing, but I'd sooner live there than most of the other places I've been. There's a butt load of way cool country there, and some pretty damn good beers too.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!