Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summertime beer cocktails  (Read 3433 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Summertime beer cocktails
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:19:49 am »
I'm interested in hearing what beer cocktails you enjoy.  Especially in hot weather sometimes this is very appealing.

I have a Mexican Vienna Lager (similar to Negra Modelo) on tap and sometimes enjoy making a michelada when it's hot.  These are popular in Texas -- I know to be on the restaurant/bar menu in numerous places in Austin, typically with light colored Mexican lagers.

My recipe: to a beer glass 2/3 filled with beer add and gently stir in 3 or 4 oz V8 / tomato juice, a shake or two of worcestershire and tabasco, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and then drop in 3 ice cubes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:21:47 am by brewsumore »

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Summertime beer cocktails
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:47:01 am »
First off great thread idea.  Never had michelada but definitely will soon! 

My current favorite and I've done EXTENSIVE trials.  Really.  50/50 Labatt Blue/Sauva margarita premade (with booze).  Jose Quervo works too but prefer Sauza and added bonus its half the price of Jose.

Serve in an large wine glass with "hi-tek" 2" ice cube.  https://www.amazon.com/Zenware-Silicone-Extra-Large-Cubes/dp/B01K856OXS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TA0S46ZCEPS4CM3TQJ1G 

I am BJCP and I take alot of flack for it amongst megaswill drinkers but IDGAF, this raaawks on hot day.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:37 pm »
I always have enjoyed a beermosa! Half beer half o.j. works best in my opinion with any light colored beer. Great with ipa's,hefe,pale ale's etc. Plus a great way to enjoy a beer in the a.m. without people/wife's judging you!

narvin

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
Not a huge fan of beer in cocktails but a nice Saison can be great for breakfast with some fresh squeezed orange juice.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:14:40 pm »
I don't think this is a thing but I will put a splash of campari in a beer I find boring due to a lack of dryness or bitter counterpoint to sweetness.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:03:15 am »
I generally prefer my beer unadulterated but since I have so much mead I have been making mead versions of cocktails.
I served Mead-hattan, Mead-jito, and a Negroni-mead at HBC, for instance.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:49:28 am »
Thought there would be more activity...   ;D 

OK, let's do this. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/25/beer-cocktail-recipes-drinks_n_3682220.html

https://www.buzzfeed.com/erinchack/drinks-that-prove-mixing-beer-cocktails-is-a-great-idea?utm_term=.sm6vRk2qW#.epOBDvqj5

Definitely gonna try a snakebite!  https://brooklynbrewshop.com/blogs/themash/beer-cocktail-snakebite 

I think you guys might get a kick out of this but not beer related.  An EXTREMELY popular summer drink around me is the brandy alexander with a spin.  Blenders run constantly...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPJKkGEeUU 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:12:38 pm »
I made a hibiscus wit, and made a cocktail with it the other day. Captain Morgan, lime, and hibiscus wit. I'm planning on trying it with tequila sometime this week.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:17:34 pm »
First off great thread idea.  Never had michelada but definitely will soon! 

My current favorite and I've done EXTENSIVE trials.  Really.  50/50 Labatt Blue/Sauva margarita premade (with booze).  Jose Quervo works too but prefer Sauza and added bonus its half the price of Jose.

Serve in an large wine glass with "hi-tek" 2" ice cube.  https://www.amazon.com/Zenware-Silicone-Extra-Large-Cubes/dp/B01K856OXS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TA0S46ZCEPS4CM3TQJ1G 

I am BJCP and I take alot of flack for it amongst megaswill drinkers but IDGAF, this raaawks on hot day.

Interesting take on a margarita - I assume a regular margarita is one of the world's most popular cocktails.  I've eaten in restaurants that had a wine and beer license but no hard liquor license, and offered margaritas made with wine.

I must admit I can't recall trying any other beer cocktails besides a michelada - I can't even remember any I've seen promoted other than the michelada or beer mimosa (and only learned of beermosa recently).  I know there are longstanding traditions including flavored syrup in Berliner weisse - but that is so traditional I don't think it counts as a beer cocktail.

I wonder if anyone has tried something along the lines of beer sangria.   :o  edit: Hey I saw just that via Zwiller's link!

I'm really intrigued by all the responses!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:23:30 pm by brewsumore »

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:06 am »
Interesting, I think I myself was hung up on the word cocktail.  I was going to say I've never had a beer cocktail, but half the huffpost list is variations on Shandy, so I reckon I've had at least that. I didn't really consider that a "cocktail".  I know my wife like "red beer" but hasn't had it in a while. 

To my knowledge, I've only had one cocktail with beer in it, but I'm really having to wrack my brain.  I assume it was at a McMenamins since they tend to do wacky stuff like that, but I don't remember what it was, so it wasn't too memorable. I think it had whiskey and beer in it, but there was no way you'd ever know it had beer in it, the other flavors were too strong.  I think the things on these lists are designed to make sure you recognize the beer in them, hence a beer cocktail, rather than a whiskey cocktail with a splash or float of beer.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 07:42:33 am »
Some of the restaurants around here server some beer cocktails or beer blends. The snakebite is one of my favorite beer blends if I am looking for something a little different. Most places use Angry Orchard and Guiness for the snakebite which is a great combo IMO, but I could see several other homebrew stouts and ciders working well together.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 07:54:57 am »
I generally prefer my beer unadulterated

Same here. I like an occasional margarita at a Mexican place, and definitely good Scotch and good bourbon on occasion. But I like beer to be beer. Each his own.
Jon H.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:08:37 am »
   Plain old red beers, but only with my infamous homebrewed, high octane tomato juice, and only with lagers. Sadly I'm out of the stuff and have been for a while, gonna have to get my poop in a group and build some more soon. The stuff goes down very well, I can go through a quart of juice and 3 or 4 beers in no time at all, especially during a good football game. On second thought, maybe I should hold off on making more juice ;).
   Jon, you don't ever partake of a lime wedge with a beer?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 08:33:50 am »
   Plain old red beers, but only with my infamous homebrewed, high octane tomato juice, and only with lagers. Sadly I'm out of the stuff and have been for a while, gonna have to get my poop in a group and build some more soon. The stuff goes down very well, I can go through a quart of juice and 3 or 4 beers in no time at all, especially during a good football game. On second thought, maybe I should hold off on making more juice ;).
   Jon, you don't ever partake of a lime wedge with a beer?

Lime wedge with tacos, yeah. Beer, not so much.   :)
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 08:45:02 am »
My recipe: to a beer glass 2/3 filled with beer add and gently stir in 3 or 4 oz V8 / tomato juice, a shake or two of worcestershire and tabasco, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and then drop in 3 ice cubes.

Same but never V8 and a habanero-based hot sauce rather than tabasco. Light lagers are the defacto choice but I really prefer them with an APA.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing