Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summertime beer cocktails  (Read 3426 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Summertime beer cocktails
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 08:55:43 am »
I think visor is on the right track here...  My first foray into adulterating beer was corona with lime and I was hooked.  But, it could have also been the sunset, boat ride, hot girls, and/or the reggae music.  ;D 

Blending beer is quite common in commercial brewing and pretty much any of these fruity beers are totally adulterated with flavor extracts and sweeteners and are not brewed in the traditional manner at all. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:54:36 am »
I don't do it that often, but unsweetened iced tea and light beer make a nice refresher. Like a beer Arnold palmer.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:08:15 pm »
I bought a can of Steigl Radler for my wife to take on a raft trip.  She let me taste it.  It actually was not bad.  Way better than those crappy shandys the Leinenkugel sells.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:34 pm »
I was once served a Negra Modelo with a lime wedge stuck halfway down the neck. I pulled it out in frustration, but I have to admit that the flavor left in the neck worked pretty well with the beer. I'd probably consider rubbing the rim of a glass of lager with a lime wedge at some point, but that's as far as I'd go.

If I want a particular flavor in beer, then I'll just brew with it. Or more likely, I'll find a hop varietal that tastes like it and use that instead.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 06:21:32 pm »
This appears to be an interesting developing trend - identifying any additive to beer as entering into at least the province of a beer cocktail, aka "adulterated beer".  I say that in jovial acquiescent way.  I recollect looking on in horror a fair number of times when somebody "ruined" a good beer by doctoring it.

Still, I really often like a hefeweizen with a slice of especially lemon. or maybe orange at least as well as served "naked".

I guess I forgot to mention growing up in Montana there were some (morning) Sunday's watching football and drinking red beers which required less and less tomato juice as time went by -- always served with pretty much the all-powerful and only option of American lagers served in a bar or available at your grocer.

I will again say there are some very imaginative innovations, and authentic personal preferences being presented.  Thanks so much for sharing on this subject that quite honestly I was a little afraid to begin, knowing that beer heroes make and drink beer!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 08:59:47 am »
The official beer of Montana:  Clammy Bud Light.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 09:01:16 am »
For something like Dos Equis Amber, I enjoy a lime wedge on the rim of the glass. Just provides a little aroma, but stays out of the beer's way so to speak. Putting the lime into the beer doesn't work for me.

That's probably about as close as I get to a beer cocktail. To me, if I want a summertime cocktail I'll just make a gin and tonic or a martini. Both fill the need for a dry beverage to cut the heat.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 10:40:00 am »
OK.  The other night I tried some of these in small servings. 

First up, 50/50 tea/beer.  I make a wicked iced tea BTW.  Beer was Labatt Blue (LB).  Pretty good, very interesting in that the tea added to the maltiness of the beer.  The end result reminded me of something english.

2nd, michelada.  Used V8 spicy, a healthy dose of lime juice, Valentina hot sauce (black label hot), worcestershire, and LB.  Not a fan but I think it is the worcestershire that really put me off.  Not ruling it out until I try a few at restaurants.  We have several real mexican places. 

3rd.  Snakebite.  Asked the wife to pickup some cider, preferably strongbow which I never had.  She got some and it was the golden apple.  First off, solo.  HOLY CRAP it was good!  I'd have to say that was the best cider I ever had (have not had them all)  I proceed to do 50/50 LB and first thing I notice is the head is crazy good looking and silky like it was from a tap.  Taste is awesome.  Beer dried it just a bit more and made it more drinkable.  I am a fan!  I think the snakebite could be perfect for the late summer harvest time.  Anxious to try it with stout.   

Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:48 pm »

2nd, michelada.  Used V8 spicy, a healthy dose of lime juice, Valentina hot sauce (black label hot), worcestershire, and LB.  Not a fan but I think it is the worcestershire that really put me off.  Not ruling it out until I try a few at restaurants.  We have several real mexican places. 

The trick is restraint:  less is more.  It's still beer you're drinking.  Sometimes for 2/3 pint of beer I add only 2 oz tomato juice -- and nothing pre-flavored or pre-spiced.  And as far as tabasco and worcestershire (optional), we're talking literally one shake and done, just as if it was bitters.  And tease it with fresh lime juice - like 1/4 of a lime tops. 

The way it's done matters in terms of not-so-good vs. excellente.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 08:17:38 am »
Some of the restaurants around here server some beer cocktails or beer blends. The snakebite is one of my favorite beer blends if I am looking for something a little different. Most places use Angry Orchard and Guiness for the snakebite which is a great combo IMO, but I could see several other homebrew stouts and ciders working well together.

Next stout I brew, I'm going to try it with cider mixed in.  Thanks for the great idea!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 04:16:47 pm »
I like taking a chocolate stout and adding some cold-brewed coffee to it. It's very delicious.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 09:31:23 am »

The trick is restraint:  less is more.  It's still beer you're drinking.  Sometimes for 2/3 pint of beer I add only 2 oz tomato juice -- and nothing pre-flavored or pre-spiced.  And as far as tabasco and worcestershire (optional), we're talking literally one shake and done, just as if it was bitters.  And tease it with fresh lime juice - like 1/4 of a lime tops. 

The way it's done matters in terms of not-so-good vs. excellente.

Thanks!  Yesterday it was 80F at noon with Bday party for grand nephew @ 1pm so I had an excuse to try one.  Much better!  I see some online recipes do not call for tomato juice at all and just mexican hot sauce.  I will try that, as well as some Maggi seasoning.  Indeed, less is more... 
Sam
Sandusky, OH