Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden Sour  (Read 7504 times)

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
Golden Sour
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:03:27 pm »
This is my first time posting here so hello! I do just a little brewing. Have one recipe I've used for 5 years I like a lot. Anyway to the point I tried a beer the other day from a local brewery and I have decided I want to give it a go at creating something like it. So here's what I have. It was a golden ale aged with blackberries and French oak. So I have spent some time today putting this together.

I found a Golden Ale recipe that sounds like it would work

OG. 1.049
FG.  1.006
IBU. 1-2. Shooting for 2 as the beer I tried was a 2
ABV. 5.25%

6lb 10oz Pilsner
1lb 2oz.  Wheat Malt
9oz.        Franco-Belges Aromatic malt
9oz.        Flaked oats
9oz.        Spelt malt
.125oz.    Strisselspalt hops @ 60min

Yeast WLP001 California Ale

So here's where I need some input. The beer I tried was 6.3 ABV. So I would need to bump that up a little. The biggest issue I have is getting into a secondary ferment with Brettanomyces. I've got the concept of how to add the black berries. I'm going to use French oak chips to get the oak aged flavor they had. Adding the Brett??? Do I make a starter and add this into the secondary when I rack it? Just need some advice on this as well as any critiquing. This will be a pretty big challenge to pull this off and I'm looking forward to it.

The beer I'm kinda trying to clone or let's say make something similar to gave a fair amount of info on the back of the bottle.

Golden Ale
Primary: Yeast Saccharomyces
Conditioning Yeast: Brettanomyces
ABV 6.3
Ph 3.5
IBU 2

They racked it to secondary and aged it for 12 months in a French oak barrel. Then bottled aged it after that.

I felt the urge to brew and I'm up for a challenge. I do pretty good with my other all-grain recipes. I have not messed with pitching a second yeast, adding wood chips and so on to a secondary.

Big tanks in advance for any advice!!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:16:26 pm by dasdubtech »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Golden Ale Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:09:00 am »
All you need to do is add wood chips to secondary, rack your beer and add a fresh vial/pack of brett. You won't need a starter.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:44:56 am »
All you need to do is add wood chips to secondary, rack your beer and add a fresh vial/pack of brett. You won't need a starter.
This.  Having done a 12 month French oak aged blackberry Brett beer, I'd recommend a spiral over the chips, but your choice. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:47 am »
Are you sure the IBU is 2? That's not even enough to provide antibacterial effect. I'm not even sure that's enough to clear federal minimums for hopping rates. (Not a concern for homebrew but for the brewery that inspired you.)
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:19:23 am »
Are you sure the IBU is 2? That's not even enough to provide antibacterial effect. I'm not even sure that's enough to clear federal minimums for hopping rates. (Not a concern for homebrew but for the brewery that inspired you.)
The have hoping rates based on 7.5 Lbs/100 barrels. No IBU requirement.

Edit doing the math shows that would be ~0.2 Oz for a 5 gallon batch.

Edit 2 - the brewery may have really low AA Strisselspalt.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:23:56 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:17:10 am »
If the beer your wanting to replicate is the Blackberry Farm Brewery Barrel Series Brett Fruit Blend (2016), then it would likely have an IBU level close to 25ibus.  In addition, I would change the title of the thread to something that indicates it's a "golden sour" you're after because a "golden ale" is generally thought of as something quite different (i.e. a hoppy british beer).

A starting point might be to use The Rare Barrel's golden sour base recipe (basically what you posted in the OP), and add wine-tainted french oak (or wine+oak) plus fruit to the secondary. http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/The_Rare_Barrel

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23:14 am »
I would stay clear of 25ibus unless you have some strong Brett.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:52:18 pm »

Brett doesn't mind IBUs; and pedio's pretty okay up to about the 20-25 range. Lacto might not do so well up there, but Brett doesn't care.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:05:33 pm »

Brett doesn't mind IBUs; and pedio's pretty okay up to about the 20-25 range. Lacto might not do so well up there, but Brett doesn't care.
My bad.

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:17:44 pm »
If the beer your wanting to replicate is the Blackberry Farm Brewery Barrel Series Brett Fruit Blend (2016), then it would likely have an IBU level close to 25ibus.  In addition, I would change the title of the thread to something that indicates it's a "golden sour" you're after because a "golden ale" is generally thought of as something quite different (i.e. a hoppy british beer).

A starting point might be to use The Rare Barrel's golden sour base recipe (basically what you posted in the OP), and add wine-tainted french oak (or wine+oak) plus fruit to the secondary. http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/The_Rare_Barrel

Updated the title. Thank you!

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
Re: Golden Sour
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 05:24:23 pm »
WOW! Thanks for all the great info. The beer that I am trying to replicate is from Sweetwater The Woodlands Project - Through the Brambles. Its a Blackberry Sour Ale. The IBUs are for sure 2 according to there label. I have already been looking for the spirals. Jay Goodwin designed the Golden Ale base I was wanting to use. He also used brett in a secondary on this. Since it matched so closely to what I tried less the fruit and french wood I figured what the heck.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:30:52 pm by dasdubtech »

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
Re: Golden Sour
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:22 pm »
This is where I got the idea of the recipe.

https://beerandbrewing.com/the-rare-barrel-golden-ale-recipe/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:10 pm »

It just dawned on me, the brewery could also add the required amount of hops late and get the low IBU.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 06:31:16 pm »

It just dawned on me, the brewery could also add the required amount of hops late and get the low IBU.

Im going to mess around with it in beer smith and see what I can do. I enjoy creating a recipe as much as brewing it. I get a lot of satisfaction in that.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 06:55:50 pm »

Im going to mess around with it in beer smith and see what I can do. I enjoy creating a recipe as much as brewing it. I get a lot of satisfaction in that.
The TTB requirement comes to 0.2 Oz for 5 gallons. Plug that in at later times, using the AA you have, and see where it hits 2. It might be at 20, 15, 10 minutes, or whatever.

Let us know what you decide.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild