Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apollo Comet Columbus  (Read 3446 times)

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
Apollo Comet Columbus
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »
I'll be brewing an IPA next and have on hand Apollo, Comet, and Columbus. I've very familiar with Columbus and have used Apollo a few times. No experience with Comet.

I'm looking for suggested ratios for my late addition hops with these three.

Based on what I've read of comet and my experience with the other two, it'll be resinous, dank, with some grapefruit/citrus. Am I correct there?

Thanks.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Apollo Comet Columbus
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:20:43 am »
I cannot speak to Comet specifically on its own (so take this with a grain of salt) but when I use it I am always surprised with the amount of fruity character that I seem to get out of it. My perception is that I get a bit of pineapple and citrus out of it. My last wheat beer used some comet along with sterling and palisade toward the end of the boil and I was very pleased and surprised by the fruity hop character I got. My normal APA is equal parts Equinox, Comet, and Centennial and it is just a joy... ;D

Sorry for not providing much helpful feedback.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:05:01 pm »
Well that's way better than the descriptor I've read of "wild American". It makes me more inclined to follow through and use it now.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »
Well that's way better than the descriptor I've read of "wild American". It makes me more inclined to follow through and use it now.

That was my fear as well but did not match my experience. I was expecting something closer to how cluster is described. After some searching, I found some single hopped comet beers with descriptors that seem to be similar to how I perceive it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:36 am »
I'll be brewing an IPA next and have on hand Apollo, Comet, and Columbus. I've very familiar with Columbus and have used Apollo a few times. No experience with Comet.

I'm looking for suggested ratios for my late addition hops with these three.

Based on what I've read of comet and my experience with the other two, it'll be resinous, dank, with some grapefruit/citrus. Am I correct there?

Thanks.
I like to use the YCH website for hops descriptors and info. Sometimes they have recipes for each hop.

https://ychhops.com/varieties/comet

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I now see where you got "wild american" from. What the hell does that mean!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:53:56 am by curtdogg »
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 12:52:00 pm »
I like Comet a lot. Tastes pineapple/grapefruit and sativa weed. definitely distinctive.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:01:07 pm »
Am I the only one who was thinking of the "Comet - it makes you vomit" song?
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 06:40:39 pm »
Brewed this beer yesterday. I bittered with apollo and then I decided to go with a 1:1:1 ratio for my flameout addition. Dry hop will be same ratio. Initial sample going into fermentor was very good.

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:18 am »
I've only used them once with Vic Secret and Azacca.  I used them in bittering, late additions and a generous amount in dry hopping.  I never got the citrus/grapefruit mentioned but more of a slightly grassy aroma.  I had used Vic Secret with Azacca before and liked it and thought Comet would add a bit more to the brew but while it wasn't bad, I'm just not crazy about it.
I have some left and was thinking about trying it only as a steep and dry hop so maybe that will bring out more of the supposed grapefruit aroma I was hoping for.

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 04:04:23 pm »
I like Comet a lot. Tastes pineapple/grapefruit and sativa weed. definitely distinctive.

I love it also. It's freaking amazing. Have a keg-hopped pale ale with comet and the smell is WONDERFUL!

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 06:24:54 am »
Just as a follow up now that the beer has been kegged and on the keg hops for a bit. Aroma is dominated by citrus. Mostly grapefruit with hints of lemon and lime. Flavor is similar but with a bit of "grassiness".

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »
I used Comet for the first time a few months back along with Ella, Equinox, Citra, and Mosaic. Don't think these paired to well with each other. Mostly grassiness overpowers everything, with some citrus notes. Definitely want to pair it with something else.