Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain to naturally carbonated bottle in 19 days?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain to naturally carbonated bottle in 19 days?
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:37:39 pm »
Planning to run 34/70 at ale temps (likely low 60s). I realize it's not the best idea but any chance I could have it reasonably carbonated in bottle in 19 days? The competition is actually 3 days after submission so I could request to have the bottles stored warm which would make it 22 days total.

Just a bad idea? If not, any advice? I have a beer gun but prefer not to use it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Grain to naturally carbonated bottle in 19 days?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:15:54 pm »
Absolutely possible to have carbed beer in bottle in that many days - even much less.  As for "lagering" time, that's what you'll miss out on.

Do it.  Try a bottle on submission day. Decide if it's a worthy contender or not.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:17:52 pm »
For that time frame, I would force carb and use the beer gun. That way you will know the carbonation level going in. Although, if it's too much of a pain in the ass go ahead and bottle condition because I've had beers that were not dinged very much for low carbonation.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:52:32 pm »
Thanks guys. I may attempt the beer gun again. Something in my process and setup in lacking and has created some pretty foamy fills with badly carbonated beer. I think it's mostly related to not everything being cold enough.

The beer is slightly misentered anyway because the category was removed so not expecting the best score.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:25 am »
I think I may have found an issue with my beer gun process after re-reading Blichmann's instructions. I don't think I have been using the included 10' long 3/16" liquid tubing which they recommend. I have just been using the liquid tubing from my keg to faucet which is probably about 6'.

I think I will reattempt the beer gun method so that I can stick with my normal fermentation schedule and get some cold conditioning on the beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:58 am »
The long tubing gives a pressure drop that lessens the foam. Have everything cold, including the beergun. If the bottles are cold and wet that also helps.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!