Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP051 Ferm Temp  (Read 1622 times)

Offline robdog09

• 1st Kit
WLP051 Ferm Temp
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:33:45 am »
I have a hard time in the summer (like everyone) getting my wort temp down. I need to start investing in ice for my bath i guess.

I ended up pitching my yeast sub-80 degrees. Its since dropped to 75, which is room temp in my basement. I wont be able to get it below 70 unless i crank my basement AC down, which i dont want to do.

The yeast recommends 65-70, so Im curious how damaging this will be. Maybe i should have purchased some yeast that will survive in a little warmer environment. Meanwhile, its been about 9.5 hrs since the yeast went in, and there is no activity yet. So, Im just a little worried.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:37:01 am by robdog09 »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: WLP051 Ferm Temp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:56 am »
A) 75F isn't enough to kill yeast of any strain

B) Just about every ale strain (even the ones that do OK at higher temperatures) give the best results when started in the 60's. You might get some off flavors by pitching so hot.

C) That strain tends to start slow. I wouldn't worry until 24 hours or more with no activity at all.

The start of fermentation is the most critical time for temp control. Even if you can't control your temps during fermentation, pitching at the right temp will make a big difference in the quality of your beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline robdog09

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:06:26 am »
Great, thx man. Ill give it another day, and if nothing, ill go get another pack.

Offline robdog09

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:49:11 am »
I knocked the A/C down to 70 degrees yesterday morning, and it got moving overnight. Looks like we're in good shape. Thx, all.