Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beergun or alternative?  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Beergun or alternative?
« on: July 13, 2017, 10:25:40 pm »
Any thoughts on the new version of the beer gun? I'm looking at getting a better method of bottling. I've been filling from a tap with a 3/4" hose, sometimes it works beautifully, sometimes it's super foamy. Any other options that are better? I'm not really looking to bottle condition either, I just want to fill from a keg.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline hannabrew

• Cellarman
Re: Beergun or alternative?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:00:37 pm »
I built one of these and love it

http://brulosophy.com/2016/07/14/the-bru-bottler-update-how-to-build-your-own/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:42:17 am »
FWIW, I've got the "original" Blichmann beer gun and I'm quite happy with it.

I did have issues with force carbed/beer gunned beers staling too rapidly, so I'm back to bottle conditioning. I now use a keg in place of a bottling bucket, and use the beer gun/gas to bottle that way. The yeast will consume any oxygen that gets introduced in the process.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:16:40 am »
I was at the LHBS yesterday and saw they had another beer gun brand that looked pretty nice. I cannot remember the name...

I am starting to go back to bottle conditioning for prolonged shelf life. I normally keg but if I bottle; I will use the beer gun when I will consume in relatively short order or bottle condition when I plan to let it sit for a while. My only issue is less clear beers from settled yeast.

I have had some horribly oxidized beers when using the beer gun but some of that has to do with the user...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:11 am »
I was at the LHBS yesterday and saw they had another beer gun brand that looked pretty nice. I cannot remember the name...

I am starting to go back to bottle conditioning for prolonged shelf life. I normally keg but if I bottle; I will use the beer gun when I will consume in relatively short order or bottle condition when I plan to let it sit for a while. My only issue is less clear beers from settled yeast.

I have had some horribly oxidized beers when using the beer gun but some of that has to do with the user...

At HBC there was a talk where they had actual measurements of the Packaged O2, and the beergun is capable of low levels. There was some spread in those data points, one or two were fairly high. The speaker that did the filling said he was just filling the bottles, sipping beer capping bottles, and said he was maybe too relaxed.having some live yeast is a good thing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 11:44:26 am »

My setup kind of replicates that, just with a large tube. I've had a lot of trouble keeping the pressure correct. Do you keep your same serving pressure? I've also never had any luck finding a barb adapter that fit in my faucets. I have perlicks, and bought a few options but they've always been too big or too small.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:18:29 am »
I know it sounds crazy, but I have gone to almost always using an roughly 6" piece of 3/8ID silicone tubing. I simply slip it over the end of my tap, which coincidentally makes it almost the exact diameter of the mouth of a beer bottle. I make sure the bottle is wet and cold, dial down my regulator to ~3-4PSI and fill. It foams a little bit, but I just let the foam burp the cap for a second or two and then seal it.

I did the Cobra-tap/racking cane/stopper system for a while, but after doing the above system on growlers, I realized I could do it on bottled as well. The trick is to use the thick silicone tubing and it creates a counter pressure seal, you just fill slow and burp it as you go.

P.S. If you have intertap faucets like me, the barbed tip works even better.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 09:26:46 am »
I know it sounds crazy, but I have gone to almost always using an roughly 6" piece of 3/8ID silicone tubing. I simply slip it over the end of my tap, which coincidentally makes it almost the exact diameter of the mouth of a beer bottle. I make sure the bottle is wet and cold, dial down my regulator to ~3-4PSI and fill. It foams a little bit, but I just let the foam burp the cap for a second or two and then seal it.

I did the Cobra-tap/racking cane/stopper system for a while, but after doing the above system on growlers, I realized I could do it on bottled as well. The trick is to use the thick silicone tubing and it creates a counter pressure seal, you just fill slow and burp it as you go.

I have just about the same thing. About a 3' tube, but I've never been able to consistently fill well. Maybe I'll have to play around with it more, but my beer gun is supposed to turn up today. Maybe a shorter tube will make it easier to deal with.

Offline hannabrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »

My setup kind of replicates that, just with a large tube. I've had a lot of trouble keeping the pressure correct. Do you keep your same serving pressure? I've also never had any luck finding a barb adapter that fit in my faucets. I have perlicks, and bought a few options but they've always been too big or too small.
I don't touch the pressure.  Simply let any foam settle with counter pressure and then control fill speed by how aggressively I burp the stopper.  Works like a charm.  I don't even bother chilling my bottles.  I do make sure I fill a glass for myself at the beginning of the process through the bottling gun so that everything in there is chilled

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:44 am »

I have just about the same thing. About a 3' tube, but I've never been able to consistently fill well. Maybe I'll have to play around with it more, but my beer gun is supposed to turn up today. Maybe a shorter tube will make it easier to deal with.

I found it works best when the length of tubing as just barely shorter than  the bottle. It should just rest on the bottom of the bottle when the bottle is fully seated onto the tap and there is a good seal.  Also if you cut the base of the tubing at an angle it seems to reduce splashing a little, which seems to help in my head.