Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Super duper newbie question  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Hellions

• 1st Kit
Super duper newbie question
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:16:46 pm »
What's up everyone. Name's Randy. I've always been intrigued on making my own beer. I recently picked up a copy of my local brew scene magazine and after reading a few articles and figuring out where my closest brew supply store was, I decided to give it a try.

So fast forward to now and getting to my question. I'm doing the "How to Brew Beer: Beginner" recipe off of this site. The Zaith Weizen brew. I've done everything to a tee just like it's listed and my batch is currently in the fermenter.

In the instructions, it said fermentation is typically complete in 7-10 days. But then it said the beer can be bottled after 14-28 days. So my question is, what am I doing with the batch after the 7-10 days of fermenting? And how will I know when it's ready to be bottled? The 14 day period is a long time frame.

Thanks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Super duper newbie question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:24:37 pm »
Welcome Randy! That's a good question you raise. Short answer - local homebrew shops try to make things as easy as possible to understand for new brewers but, in doing so, sometimes give outdated or not completely accurate info on the process.

Weizen beers are best carbed and served as soon as fermentation is done. How do you know it's done? When you get 2-3 identical hydrometer readings, each a day or two apart. Once you get those identical readings, fermentation is done and you should bottle. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »
Welcome to homebrewing, Randy!

I'm pretty sure that 14-28 days in the instructions is the time in the bottles for conditioning/carbonating.  So yes, bottle when fermentation is complete.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Hellions

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:33:42 pm »
Awesome! Good to know. That's some valuable info to have now. Thanks!

Offline Hellions

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:36:38 pm »
Welcome to homebrewing, Randy!

I'm pretty sure that 14-28 days in the instructions is the time in the bottles for conditioning/carbonating.  So yes, bottle when fermentation is complete.

Hey alright, I watched your videos on this brew about 4 times already, lol. Good stuff! Just wasn't real sure on bottling after it was done fermenting. But thanks Gary.