Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: counter pressure filling  (Read 1901 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
counter pressure filling
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:25:19 pm »
First off I am going to enter an IPA i brewed into a competition and I am wondering how much space in the bottle do judges look for?

I am going to keg this beer and try to use a counter pressure bottle filler to bottle with. I have never used a counter pressure filler before and i am wondering if anyone has recomindations on how to use one. When i keg the beer what is the best way and PSI to carb to for using this filler? Normally I just turn the co2 up to 20-30 and let it carb for a few days then turn it down to the serving pressure about 12 psi

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: counter pressure filling
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 03:34:52 pm »
High and normal fills are normal in competition.  I don't think fill level affects the score unless the fill is low, which tends to make the judge think that the brewer doesn't know what they are doing. 

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 04:51:07 pm »
High and normal fills are normal in competition.  I don't think fill level affects the score unless the fill is low, which tends to make the judge think that the brewer doesn't know what they are doing.

A proper judge will not deduct any points for fill level. A low fill could result in improper carbonation levels though per style which may be reflected in point deductions on the scoresheet.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 09:42:55 pm »

A proper judge will not deduct any points for fill level. A low fill could result in improper carbonation levels though per style which may be reflected in point deductions on the scoresheet.

This
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 03:46:19 am »

I have never used a counter pressure filler before and i am wondering if anyone has recomindations on how to use one.

I use a Blichmann beergun, but search counter pressure bottle filler on YouTube and you'll get a number of video demos. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."