Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Eraseable Beer Crates  (Read 3845 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Eraseable Beer Crates
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:13:30 pm »
I have only been brewing for a couple of years now and have had enough with storing my bottles in the flimsy  boxes they came in. I decided to build wooden crates. To improve the crates a bit more, I took an idea from my wife's DIY crafting projects and painted each end with chalkboard paint. This allows me to write all the pertinent information on what is currently in the crate, and then erase it when the crate is re-used for another brew.
I have made two sizes, one holds twelve 22 oz. bottles, the other holds twenty-four 12 oz. bottles.

Some photos of the 22 oz. crates:

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Eraseable Beer Crates
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:25:22 pm »
Great idea--both the wooden boxes and the use of chalkboard paint. I store my cardboard boxes/plastic milk crates in a small cellar room, and your boxes would make it much easier for me to quickly figure out what is where. I might just steal your idea in the future.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 05:54:44 am »
Nice job!  I like the chalkboard paint idea.

I started a project like that once but "life" got in the way and it never got finished.  All the wood was used for other things years ago.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:17:01 pm »
I know what I'm making tomarrow GREAT JOB

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:52:50 am »
Nice!

A guy in my brewing club gave me three of the ancient Falls City and Sterling beer crates made of heavy-duty cardboard.  They are dirty, but do the job.  Your idea is better.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:55:40 am »
I have only been brewing for a couple of years now and have had enough with storing my bottles in the flimsy  boxes they came in. I decided to build wooden crates. To improve the crates a bit more, I took an idea from my wife's DIY crafting projects and painted each end with chalkboard paint. This allows me to write all the pertinent information on what is currently in the crate, and then erase it when the crate is re-used for another brew.
I have made two sizes, one holds twelve 22 oz. bottles, the other holds twenty-four 12 oz. bottles.

Some photos of the 22 oz. crates:

IS that 3/4"ply one the ends and 1/4 or 3/8 on the sides? Are the bottles packed tight with no seperators? This is a real nice idea and I will definately use this as a template. Nice work
Jimmykx250

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:11:06 pm »
IS that 3/4"ply one the ends and 1/4 or 3/8 on the sides? Are the bottles packed tight with no seperators? This is a real nice idea and I will definately use this as a template. Nice work

I used a 1x12 cut to size for the ends and the bottom, 1/4" plywood for the sides. Bottles are not tight, slight space between them, no separators.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 05:11:52 pm »
Those are really cool!  Nice job!

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:16:51 pm »
Yeah, those are sweet.  I made some a couple years ago that have internal wood dividers and chalkboard plaques on the end and sides.  I have them full of barleywine right now.  Since I keg my beer, they're actually not getting a lot of use.  I thought about making some for 22 oz bottles, but haven't done it yet.  Yours look much simpler to build, and they look nice too.  Nice work, thanks for sharing!