Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reusing iodine based sanitizer  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
Reusing iodine based sanitizer
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:21 pm »
I've been filling my kegs with io star to purge and sanitize. If I pushed into another keg rather than a bucket would it still be safe to say that the receiving keg would still sanitary and ready to go when ever I needed it? I hate dumping 5 gallons down the drain every time that I keg a batch and always having a keg ready would be nice.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: Reusing iodine based sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:42:02 pm »
IMO if the kegs are clean you could do it a couple of times without an issue. Also you don't have to fill the keg with 5 gallons of sanitizer. I fill them half way let them set then flip them.
Save some water and sanitizer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Reusing iodine based sanitizer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:08 pm »
I store kegs empty and sanitized under pressure. I normally clean three at a time and push the iodophor from keg to keg. Iodine looses its effectiveness pretty quick when mixed to working strength and it's also pretty cheap if you buy the liter sized bottle.

I disagree with half filing the keg. Fill it up and push out the sanitizer. Clean, sanitized, purged and pressurized = easy kegging.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:45:36 am »
I store kegs empty and sanitized under pressure. I normally clean three at a time and push the iodophor from keg to keg. Iodine looses its effectiveness pretty quick when mixed to working strength and it's also pretty cheap if you buy the liter sized bottle.

I disagree with half filing the keg. Fill it up and push out the sanitizer. Clean, sanitized, purged and pressurized = easy kegging.

True no need to leave the keg full. I might as well push it out so I have one less thing to do on the next batch that I keg. I know it loses its effectiveness but now that I think about it once it's sanitized it won't unsanitize in a closed environment. And yes I agree fully filling is the way to go less o2 and uses less co2 than doing cycles of purge/vent

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:24:49 am »

I don't disagree, but this really only matters if you're doing any sort of closed transfer to fill your kegs.  If you're popping open the lid and not filling through the liquid post, there is no real benefit to purging the keg by pushing out 5 gallons of sanitizer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:53:06 am »
Even if racking through the open lid, having a purged kegs is beneficial.