Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Melvin Brewing Homebrewer’s Hop Bomb  (Read 3489 times)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Re: Melvin Brewing Homebrewer’s Hop Bomb
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:18 pm »
Duncan here. I helped collect the recipes for the 50 clone recipes post. Myself and a few other AHA staffers did a double take at the hop additions, too, so I reached out to Melvin and they confirmed that this is indeed the hop monster they intended!  :P
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 03:38:52 pm »
It's everywhere here in Denver and it is very good but still not worth the price to me. I don't consider it to be much different from a lot of new school IPAs but that's just me. My buddies love the stuff but prefer the MPA

I'd like to try one. I don't doubt it's good but IMO there is a threshold of diminishing returns  on quantity, while losing more and more beer/wort to absorption. I wonder if anybody cpuld tell the difference if he used 1/2 - 2/3 of the late and dry hops. Maybe, maybe not.

That's my thought as well. I am surprised that it is not more expensive. Again, it is a great IPA but I think they could save some money on hops and no one would be the wiser...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:59:41 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline David

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 06:13:37 pm »
Well, I made a 5 gal batch of this beer.  Put nearly 22 oz of dry hops into it.  In the end, it was okay...good even, but not nearly as good as the “Sandy” American IPA, which is listed as the 2016 winner of the HomeBrewCompetition, and which uses a whole lot less hops--read cheaper and IMO, better beer.   My assessment, all those hops don't prove to be worth it :(.   Brew on!