Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nelson Sauvin - looking for feedback  (Read 4790 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Nelson Sauvin - looking for feedback
« on: July 22, 2017, 02:04:33 pm »
Never used it and have a bunch of it. 
Have you used it?  What style, how much, when during process, etc?  What did you like/dislike about it?  Did you pair it with any other hops? 

Offline Stoneclone

• 1st Kit
Re: Nelson Sauvin - looking for feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 02:10:04 pm »
I used it in a Nelson Mosaic session found on Craftedpours.    Pairs well.  Nelson gave it a sort of peppery taste which complemented the mosaic citrus.  One of my favorites.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:21:54 pm »
I used it in a Nelson Mosaic session found on Craftedpours.    Pairs well.  Nelson gave it a sort of peppery taste which complemented the mosaic citrus.  One of my favorites.

Thanks, how much did you use, what size batch and when did you use it?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Stoneclone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 02:28:25 pm »

Thanks, how much did you use, what size batch and when did you use it?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Not much.  It can over power.  This recipe called for only. 5 ounce in 3 additions in boil and 1 ounce in the dry hop...
http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/nelson-mosaic-session-ipa-homebrew-recipe

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:30:06 pm by Stoneclone »
Using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 02:55:26 pm »
JT - I really like Nelson in APA and AIPA, and to me it's grapefruit with a white grape juice character. Goes well with most American hops IMO. It's stronger than say Cascade, Centennial, or Amarillo for example. I love it 50/50 with Galaxy. As for amounts, it's obviously subjective. On APAs and AIPAs, I get my IBU from a 60 minute addition of Warrior (APA) or Columbus (AIPA) and late character from whirlpool and dry additions. These are the last 2 hop schedules I did with Nelson, both with Galaxy. Both were stellar.

APA - 40 IBU Warrior @ 60, 2.5 oz EACH Nelson and Galaxy in a 175F whirlpool/steep (30 mins). 1.5 oz EACH dry in 5 gallons. 1.055 OG.

AIPA - 65 IBU Columbus @ 60 mins, 4 oz EACH Nelson and Galaxy in a 175F whirlpool/steep (45 mins). 3 oz EACH dry. 1.062 OG.

Hope this helps some. It's great with Simcoe or Chinook 50/50 for some piney balance, or other fruity hops as well.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 04:41:57 pm »
Thanks Jon, it does help.  Glad to hear it can be used that heavily.  The plan is to brew up a pilsner/oat wort, late hop it heavily with citra, mosaic and nelson @ flameout & whirlpool).  Ferment it on wlp644.  Then transfer to secondary on top of a healthy amount of peaches, same mix of hops and some French oak.  For good measure, the Brett twins lambicus and claussenni will join the party at this time.

The variable at this point are the hops.  Not sure on the final blend... I'm tempted to brew a SMASH beer with the nelson first.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:45:10 pm by JT »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:45:03 pm »
Yeah for reference, it's definitely assertive but definitely no more so than Citra or Mosaic IMO.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 03:32:39 pm »
Yeah for reference, it's definitely assertive but definitely no more so than Citra or Mosaic IMO.

Agreed. I have paired it well with Galaxy and Amarillo with great success in an IPA.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 11:26:14 am »
First question, where can you buy Nelson right now? haha. I use it a bit. Its one of the new Zealand varieties I like. As the name suggests, sauvignon blanc character is predominant with some grapefruit notes. Its VERY distinctive and once you get to know the taste, its very identifiable. Its intense and will make its presence known.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:30:32 am »
and I have taken to only using it as a dry hop, seems to give the best flavor ime.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 02:21:26 pm »
Not a fan of heavy hopped bug beers.  I like the funk to shine...  That said, a funked smash with a small DH of NS sounds pretty dang good. 

My personal take on NS is that it gives other hops are "fresher" taste.  I think NS has an apple/melon vibe more than savignon blanc.  Yes, distinctive and best in DH.  I think the magic is easily boiled off. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 03:38:49 pm »
Not a fan of heavy hopped bug beers.  I like the funk to shine...  That said, a funked smash with a small DH of NS sounds pretty dang good. 

My personal take on NS is that it gives other hops are "fresher" taste.  I think NS has an apple/melon vibe more than savignon blanc.  Yes, distinctive and best in DH.  I think the magic is easily boiled off.

also said to be high in thiols that are pulled out of solution by copper.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »

First question, where can you buy Nelson right now? haha. I use it a bit. Its one of the new Zealand varieties I like. As the name suggests, sauvignon blanc character is predominant with some grapefruit notes. Its VERY distinctive and once you get to know the taste, its very identifiable. Its intense and will make its presence known.

My LHBS had a small supply (9oz) unitl I saw it - the one and only Listermann Brewing Co.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 06:07:06 pm »
First question, where can you buy Nelson right now?

The 2017 crop suffered from poor growing conditions and is pretty much MIA. Farmhouse has some 2016 left, which of course would still be good:  http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/nelson-sauvin-n-z-4-oz-2016-new-crop/

Past that, NB and morebeer have some for those inclined, but don't specify the crop.

Hopefully a better harvest next year.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 07:31:04 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback on this hop.  Given everything going on in this beer, I think I've decided to brew a pale ale or IPA with the Nelson (and maybe some Mosaic) first.  Wouldn't hurt to understand the flavor profile a bit better prior to throwing the kitchen sink at it.  Plus, I get an ale to drink for the effort.