Author Topic: Imperial Rustic  (Read 4532 times)

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Imperial Rustic
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:56:45 PM »
I just kegged a batch of saison fermented with Imperial Rustic.  It has a pretty interesting flavor - tart and dry with a bit of citrus and maybe some bubblegum?

It fermented from 1.054 to 1.004, which is around 92% AA.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it tastes when it's cold and carbonated.

I pitched and held at 68 for two days, then let it rise to 74 over the next 4 or 5 days.  I think it was done some time ago, but I didn't get around to kegging it until today, which is 2 weeks from pitching.

The double cell count is nice; no starter for this batch.
It's too close to home
And it's too near the bone

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Rustic
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
I just kegged a batch of saison fermented with Imperial Rustic.  It has a pretty interesting flavor - tart and dry with a bit of citrus and maybe some bubblegum?

It fermented from 1.054 to 1.004, which is around 92% AA.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it tastes when it's cold and carbonated.

I pitched and held at 68 for two days, then let it rise to 74 over the next 4 or 5 days.  I think it was done some time ago, but I didn't get around to kegging it until today, which is 2 weeks from pitching.

I still have some bottle conditioned Rustic saison left, and I used basically the same temp profile and ended up @ 1.004 as well. It's a really nice beer.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
I get a lot of bubblegum in the aroma, but not much in the flavor until third or fourth generation. I don't think I ever got it that low, but I don't add much simple sugars.

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:35:44 PM »

I still have some bottle conditioned Rustic saison left, and I used basically the same temp profile and ended up @ 1.004 as well. It's a really nice beer.

Jon,

Do you remember what temp(s) you mashed yours at?

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:06:42 PM »

Jon,

Though I've been step mashing a lot, this one was a straight 149F for 90 mins, Rob.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:23:29 AM »
I've done the same, 149 for 90 minutes and went from 1.054 to 1.004/5 if I recall.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
Never got bubblegum with Blaugies but it has a particular aroma and taste.  Pretty hard to pin it down but I have seen cassia as a descriptor.   Kinda like cinnamon but I could see one pick it up as bubblegum-ish.  House saison uses 10% white sugar instead of 90m mash (30m) and I hit single digits.  I used a similar ferment schedule but plan to take it into the 80s with some heat on next one.  Also plan to try hochkurz too.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
To me, it's  pretty earthy and spicy mostly, with a little fruitiness in aroma, but not so much in flavor.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
Never got bubblegum with Blaugies but it has a particular aroma and taste.  Pretty hard to pin it down but I have seen cassia as a descriptor.   Kinda like cinnamon but I could see one pick it up as bubblegum-ish.  House saison uses 10% white sugar instead of 90m mash (30m) and I hit single digits.  I used a similar ferment schedule but plan to take it into the 80s with some heat on next one.  Also plan to try hochkurz too.   

YES! I'm not alone. I've been using this yeast a bit, and I swear there are cinnamon and cedar notes to it. I absolutely love this yeast.

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
Also plan to try hochkurz too.   

I used a hockkurz mash on this one (150° for 40 minutes and 163° for 30 minutes).
It's too close to home
And it's too near the bone

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
I have a straight-up saison fermented with 3726 (Wyeast equivalent to Rustic; Blaugies) with 9% turbinado invert.  It started at 1.046 and is currently at 1.005, but I'm expecting about 003-004 as the true FG.  Pitch at 72F, natural ramp to ~82F over 24hrs, assisted ramp to 90F over 12hrs (36hrs post-pitch), left there for 4 days, primed and kegged.  I have yet to pick up on cassia, but definitely get the bubblegum/juicy_fruit character plus some lower-level underlying earthy/woody quality.  Hochkurz 146/160/170 for 45/20/15min.

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 09:21:40 PM »

Jon,

Though I've been step mashing a lot, this one was a straight 149F for 90 mins, Rob.

Thanks Jon. Good to know as I was concerned about going too low with a mash rest for fear of a higher gelatinization temp (currently working with Barke Pilsner and Pale malts). I have about 8% sugar going into the boil and will prob just do a 60-75 min mash.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:42:18 AM »
To me, it's  pretty earthy and spicy mostly, with a little fruitiness in aroma, but not so much in flavor.
Mine is at 06 now, and I get earthiness and spice too. My split w 565 is at the same gravity. Pitched at 65 and let it go in the laundry room. Only got up to about 70. When it slowed I put it outside and let it go to 85. I was surprised how different the 2 yeasts are. I went 147/161/171. Really like the Rustic, thanks for the recommendation Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
Kegging my Rustic today. Both the 565 and Rustic are finished at 04. Rustic is earth, spice and fruity. It is more complex with a smoothness I don't get in the 565. My 75 year old Mother tried their final gravity samples. In her words, "I'm digging that Rustic, when that one is finished bring me a growler." 565 seems to have more hop bitterness, where the Rustic is a touch more sweet.

Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
Kegging my Rustic today. Both the 565 and Rustic are finished at 04. Rustic is earth, spice and fruity. It is more complex with a smoothness I don't get in the 565. My 75 year old Mother tried their final gravity samples. In her words, "I'm digging that Rustic, when that one is finished bring me a growler." 565 seems to have more hop bitterness, where the Rustic is a touch more sweet.

That's funny. Definitely better bring her a growler. :D
Jon H.