Author Topic: Howdy All  (Read 1230 times)

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
Howdy All
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
Name is Matt.  I live way up in Northern Maine about 5 miles from Canada.  Been home brewing off and on since the mid 1980s. I just checked and I got a first edition of Complete Joy of Homebrewing!  Still use it.

I did just extracts for years and finally bought an all grain set up about 6 years ago.  Blichmann cooker and 8 gallon pot, cooler mash tun etc. 

I make mead and cider too, but the quality has been “uneven”......I did win 3rd place in an SCA type competition for mead years ago, but I overheard the judges talking late at night about how lousy the entries had been.....

I’m lucky to live near a malting operation and a hops farm, that will sell to me direct.  (Maine Malt House and Aroostook Hops).  2.5 hours from a home brew shop though, so planning ahead is key.

I sometimes brew with friends, but mostly on my own.  I’ve brewed outside in some nasty weather,  I got a good garage set up now, but she’s still damn cold sometimes.  Chilling the wort is only a challenge when the hose freezes up....

Just bottled a barley wine today, and was perusing this site for aging recommendations.

Nice to meet you all.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Howdy All
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:56:08 PM »
Welcome, Matt!
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 11:38:47 PM »
Yes, welcome Matt! This is an excellent forum that helps home brewers of all levels of experience. I have learned a lot here and trust you will, too.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:06 AM »
Hey Matt.  Welcome aboard.  Keep your eye out for sasquatch when you're brewing outdoors.  I heard there's been some recent activity up that way!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:34:19 AM »
Welcome Matt, and thanks for sharing a bit about your north country location and unique situation.  I bet it's some very beautiful country!  Last week I shared with a friend a bottle of some 10% ABV partial mash barleywine I made in 2005 and it was awesome.  The big ones can age / cellar very well.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:17:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
Good to see another Maine brewer on here.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:38 PM »
Welcome. Nice bio. Nice to have connections huh?