Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hilton Head  (Read 3335 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Hilton Head
« on: July 02, 2017, 04:27:35 pm »
I will be in Hilton Head, S.C. this week to meet up with my five brothers and sisters and their spouses.  Does anybody have any personal recommendations for good beer and food?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Hilton Head
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:26:48 pm »
I will be in Hilton Head, S.C. this week to meet up with my five brothers and sisters and their spouses.  Does anybody have any personal recommendations for good beer and food?
No. But just wanted to say have fun!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:39:13 am »
I've lived here a couple of years now. You have many food selections on-island depending on your taste and budget. Most will be very crowded this week.

The Shelter Cove Marina area has varied selection of restaurants. There is a large public area behind the shops, and there are many family oriented activities planned this week.

Salty Dog in Sea Pines is very popular and also has a large outside dining/bar area, and shops to keep you busy while waiting for a table. Very touristy, but good.

For beer, the Lodge has the best selection. A few local selections, but many more on draft. Its located in a complex just off the main traffic circle. In the same complex is the Hilton Head Brewing Co. Their beer isn't my favorite, but they do good business, so you may enjoy it. There are a few other restaurants in that complex, and all are predictably good.

Off island, but reasonably close, the best on-site brewed beers in the area, IMO, are RiverDog Brewing and Southern Barrel Brewing. Both located in the Bluffton area. RiverDog is a tasting room, that serves small plate food. They offer a small batch beer each Friday. Last week they had a Dobblebock stored in red wine barrels. They also have the best sours that I've found in the area. Southern Barrel has a larger dining area, and more beer selections. They are also very good.

Don't forget your umbrella, looks like a chance of rain every afternoon this week. But being from Tampa, you may know what that's about.
Roger

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 04:48:23 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I brought homebrewed Reunion Rye Pale Ale just in case.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »
I've lived here a couple of years now. You have many food selections on-island depending on your taste and budget. Most will be very crowded this week.

The Shelter Cove Marina area has varied selection of restaurants. There is a large public area behind the shops, and there are many family oriented activities planned this week.

Salty Dog in Sea Pines is very popular and also has a large outside dining/bar area, and shops to keep you busy while waiting for a table. Very touristy, but good.

For beer, the Lodge has the best selection. A few local selections, but many more on draft. Its located in a complex just off the main traffic circle. In the same complex is the Hilton Head Brewing Co. Their beer isn't my favorite, but they do good business, so you may enjoy it. There are a few other restaurants in that complex, and all are predictably good.

Off island, but reasonably close, the best on-site brewed beers in the area, IMO, are RiverDog Brewing and Southern Barrel Brewing. Both located in the Bluffton area. RiverDog is a tasting room, that serves small plate food. They offer a small batch beer each Friday. Last week they had a Dobblebock stored in red wine barrels. They also have the best sours that I've found in the area. Southern Barrel has a larger dining area, and more beer selections. They are also very good.

Don't forget your umbrella, looks like a chance of rain every afternoon this week. But being from Tampa, you may know what that's about.
Thanks for recommending the Lodge.  They had a very nice selection.
It only rained on me once the whole week and that was on the drive onto the island.
All in all a nice visit with my brothers and sisters.  Now back to work.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995