Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Natural Carbonation in Keg.  (Read 10667 times)

Offline Pelican Brewer

• 1st Kit
Natural Carbonation in Keg.
« on: July 23, 2017, 09:22:17 pm »
I have been kegging for around 3 + years and prefer to naturally carb in the keg. Who else prefers to naturally carb and why? I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death on this form but I like naturally carb for the extra aging time. I generally brew pretty straight forward beer styles (drinking a nice light crisp American wheat after a day of building shelves in the garage for brewing equipment), just kicked a session Pale Ale (my 4-C's Pale Ale), about to keg a IPA, and have a Amber Ale on it's third day, and Belgian Dubble in the secondary. Just curious about how many prefer t naturally carb.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Natural Carbonation in Keg.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:29:08 pm »
I love the speed of gas, but I will be naturally carbonating some beers soon, if for no other reason, the oxygen scavenging benefits.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:36:31 am »
I switched over from force carbing to natural carbonation about 3 years ago and haven't looked back.  I don't prime my keg with sugar I cap (spund) while fermenting.  It is fully carbed withing a day of transferring to the spunding keg.  It's really the best we can do to achieve the least amount of oxygen exposure, and thereby achieving fresher beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:58:01 pm »
I naturally carb all my kegs.  I use sugar and give them time to mellow and blend.  I'm usually not in a hurry so no need to use CO2 from a bottle when my yeasty friends will do it themselves.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 03:28:36 pm »
My little tidbit to those who carb in the keg. Add the priming solution to the fermenter and allow it to restart fermentation. Then rack that into a keg. You will kill 2 birds there by the yeast consuming any left over oxygen from the transfer and keg.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:25:56 pm »
My little tidbit to those who carb in the keg. Add the priming solution to the fermenter and allow it to restart fermentation. Then rack that into a keg. You will kill 2 birds there by the yeast consuming any left over oxygen from the transfer and keg.
Was planning on doing just that for my Weissbier - I generally pressure transfer but that pesky oxygen is everywhere so it seems like good insurance.  Any suggestion on time after solution is added until racking? 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Pelican Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »
Thanks for all the responses. I just finished racking the IPA to the Keg and in about 10 days I'll put it on co2. I will generally wit 3 to 5 days and pull the first sample. It's been a good day brew wise, this morning before leaving for work the new 10 gallon Brew Kettle arrive by fed-ex, Bru-Gear is having a 50% off moving sale, only $87.50 plus shipping ($39.00) with tri-clamp fittings. Bought one back in January on post x-mas sale and really like the kettle. Then I got home from work and the new refractometer was in the mail box, needs calibration but over all a bonus beer day. Trying an uncarbonated IPA sample and looking forward for the fully carbed first pour. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:05:43 am »

Another tip I use is storing my kegs under CO2 pressure while they are empty.  On the day I fill a keg, I purge the pressure, fill under a blanket of (mostly) CO2.  Then I add the priming sugar and seal up the keg with a shot of CO2 to set the lid.

This lets me know the keg was holding pressure before I put beer in it and minimizes O2 pickup during transfers.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

The Beerery

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 06:48:03 am »
Was planning on doing just that for my Weissbier - I generally pressure transfer but that pesky oxygen is everywhere so it seems like good insurance.  Any suggestion on time after solution is added until racking? 

Wait until you see activity again,.That will of course be dependent on how long it has been at FG.

narvin

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:35 am »

Yep, did this last time.  Waited maybe an hour before transferring.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 01:27:02 pm »
Why didn't I think of that on my own?  Duhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 04:36:19 pm »

It can vary, but if it has recently reached terminal gravity then a good rule of thumb is about 1-1.5 hrs.