Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: staggered yeast nutrient additions  (Read 3021 times)

Offline NickPurr

• 1st Kit
staggered yeast nutrient additions
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:31:34 pm »
I recently started a mead and am planning on doing staggered yeast nutrient additions. my first addition was done while pitching the yeast my second was after 48 hours of fermentation and so on, my question is if i need to add my last addition at 30% of the sugars being used. if my OG was 1.050 would i add the last nutrient at 1.035? i am new to making mead and don't really know the ins and outs of this stuff. any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
The godly tongue distills honey, mankind's tether of amber and gold.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Re: staggered yeast nutrient additions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:45:22 am »
I think you need to know your anticipated final gravity to calculate it. Assuming an OG of 1.050 and an estimated FG of 1.010. You can expect to ferment 40 points. You're going to add your addition at 70% fermented, (30% left), so 70% of 40 is 28 points. 1.050 less the 28 points would be 1.022. When SG checks 1.022 you would add your final addition.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:12:20 pm »
If you like a sweeter mead, then don't use any nutrients at all.  It turns out dry enough without all the extra chemicals.

If you want a dry mead, then yeah, probably add more nutrients around the 1.020 marker or something like that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:08:16 pm »
I'd be willing to bet that a 1.050 OG mead will do fine with a single addition at the start of fermentation. It's the big meads in the 1.100+ range that really need all the help they can get.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer