Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Direction using Australian ELLA hops...  (Read 5993 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Direction using Australian ELLA hops...
« on: July 26, 2017, 02:12:45 pm »
I wanted to pick up some new [to me] hops from Yakima Valley and ordered some two-ounces bags of Apollo, Azacca, El Dorado, Ella, Lemon Drop and Loral.  I have some notes and what to use where (based on my tastes) but the Australian Ella has me a little baffled.  I thought it was a finishing hop but it's something like 16.1%.  It appears to be a dual-purpose and I have heard people say it's great in "lagers" and saisons but then other people say APA/IPA... some say early and some say late in the boil while others say 'early" and "dry hop".  My plan was to use it in an APA... should I bitter with it and then use it late?  If I use it late should I use it with something else or by itself?  Cheers gang.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Direction using Australian ELLA hops...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 02:17:37 pm »
Do you know the oil content? Looks like it is probably pretty high which in my opinion lends itself to late additions.

"More subtle in character, Ella™ (previously known as Stella) packs less of an upfront punch than her big sister Galaxy™, but is no less of a star.

The changing faces of Ella™ make her an intriguing hop to experiment with.

In lower doses, Ella™ can display floral and subtle spice notes, such as star anise, which is best appreciated in lagers or pilsners. With larger additions or when dry hopping, Ella™ imparts distinct tropical flavours which can be used to offset robust malt and yeast characters in many styles."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:23:14 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 02:29:53 pm »
I was looking at THIS page.  There is oil information there but I was primarily reading those handful of reviews.  I am *NOT* an in-your-face hops, IIPA type of brewer or drinker.  I would like to get late flavor from these in an APA and I would really like to avoid the star anise if at all possible... that particular descriptor sounds problematic to me. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:12:22 pm »
I was looking at THIS page.  There is oil information there but I was primarily reading those handful of reviews.  I am *NOT* an in-your-face hops, IIPA type of brewer or drinker.  I would like to get late flavor from these in an APA and I would really like to avoid the star anise if at all possible... that particular descriptor sounds problematic to me.

Sounds like a pretty powerful hop with a lot of oil content. Looks like some people report more spice and floral notes when used earlier and more tropical fruit when used later and at dry hop. I haven't used them so sorry for not providing help...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 03:38:14 pm »
Don't be sorry... thanks for the replies.  I think I could use them to bitter and then use more late (I only have 2 ounces) and maybe pair them with something else. 

If anyone else out there has gotten these crazy-good, breathless results from these hops, please post on how you used them.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:17:57 pm »
This is one of my favorite beers, made with 100% Ella.  Dank and fruity.  They say "Kiwi and Passionfruit Hop Character"

http://pelicanbrewing.com/beer/umbrella/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bigmunchez

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 03:44:48 am »
I've used Ella quite a bit recently (I live in Australia).  I can vouch for the tropical fruit character when used late and in the dry hop. (Pale ale/IPA).  Also got some orange character too. Never really got too much spice or star anise, but then I've always been pretty generous with it. Works beautifully with summer or Vic Secret.  Don't waste it for bittering.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:47:13 am by bigmunchez »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 11:00:51 am »
I've used Ella quite a bit recently (I live in Australia).  I can vouch for the tropical fruit character when used late and in the dry hop. (Pale ale/IPA).  Also got some orange character too. Never really got too much spice or star anise, but then I've always been pretty generous with it. Works beautifully with summer or Vic Secret.  Don't waste it for bittering.

THIS^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:31:39 pm »
Okay, this is great stuff.  I heard the same thing about El Dorado... high alpha and good bittering qualities but so much better late so don't use it for bittering.  Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT:  Okay, can anyone give me an idea of how you would use these late?  I have been avoiding dry-hopping lately but that doesn't mean I won't do it.  I could use any number of bittering hops (Nugget, Magnum, Horizon, Apollo, Columbus, etc) but then give me an idea of how you would use the two lonely ounces of Ella that I have.  Do I use the Ella by themselves or try to pair them?  I have Simcoe, Nelson, El Dorado, Lemon Drop, Citra and a bunch of others.  I'm not used to using high-alpha hops late like this.  Just drop an ounce in with 5 minutes left and then whirlpool the other?  Whirlpool one and dry hop with the other?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:35:57 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 03:05:32 pm »
This is one of my favorite beers, made with 100% Ella.  Dank and fruity.  They say "Kiwi and Passionfruit Hop Character"

http://pelicanbrewing.com/beer/umbrella/

I don't think I realized that had Ella hops in it when I had it, but that is a phenomenal beer.  Pelican is killing it with the IPAs here recently.  Umbrella is good and the Beak Breaker double is really good.  I've been "rediscovering" Pelican recently. 

If you're interested in what the Ella are like, I'd do them single.  You can figure out good pairings later, but I'd go solo on it.  Bitter clean with something like Magnum and then flameout or dry with the Ella.  As far as last five, or flameout/whirlpool or dry hop, that's up to you and your system.  Personal preference.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year