Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I would like to make a gose  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
I would like to make a gose
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:59:07 am »
I've been trying the gose at breweries and pubs when I see an offering and have been acquiring a taste. Anyone care to share their process
"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: I would like to make a gose
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:38:34 am »
Very briefly because the details escape me right now, I kettle sour and add salt at the end of fermentation.  If coriander is part of the style, I add it at the end of fermentation.  There's plenty of information here and elsewhere about kettle souring.  I've been using Goodbelly probiotic pills for lacto plantarum for kettle souring and making sauerkraut.

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
I've made kettle sours with good belly before. So just add salt and it's a gose?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:57:26 pm »
I've made kettle sours with good belly before. So just add salt and it's a gose?
Think so.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:38:51 am »
Don't overdo the salt.  You should just barely be able to perceive any salt.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:00:32 am »
Don't overdo the salt.  You should just barely be able to perceive any salt.
+1 It should not taste like sea water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:28:32 am »
How much per gallon wort?

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 06:17:03 pm »
I've had good luck with the Milk The Funk recipe: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Gose#Milk_the_Funk_Gose_Recipe

I subbed out the Omega OYL-605 for Inland Island L. Brevis (https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-991-Lactobacillus-Brevis/ — local yeast FTW!)

Recipe uses half an oz of fleur de sel at the end of the boil.

One weird thing to watch out for is the variability of coriander is kind of huge. One place I went to had dull, tiny, vaguely herbal-smelling coriander; then next place I went had some nice, plump, fruity pebbles smelling coriander. You want the latter :)
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 03:05:22 pm »
I have some coriander in the garden. I looked at that milk the funk recipe. So a gose doesn't use any hops?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 04:25:45 pm »
Gose has hops.  Lacto can live just fine with a low dose of hops.  Aim for just 10-15 IBUs, no more than that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »
I often split wort in 2, sour 1 and recombine later so no problem with IBUs.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 07:38:12 am »
All depends.. kettle souring keeps risk of infecting gear down and is really easy and makes a decent Gose.  I've made three this summer all turned out great.  I use half a carton of Mango Goodbelly, adjust PH with lactic acid to 4.5 before pitching the Goodbelly then wrap my kettle with Saran Wrap and try to purge as much oxygen out of the headspace with Co2.  Kept the wort at around 95* and it only took like 16-18 hours to get to 3.5ph.  I did a full boil after just cause I used Pilsner Malt and didn't want to worry about DMS, might be overkill though.  I'm pretty sure I used .75oz of Salt/5 gallons (which I believe was in the middle of the range).  I added the same amount of Coriander but I used Indian Coriander and threw it in the fermenter after reading a Mad Fermentationist blog post about all the oils in Coriander that are similar to hop Oils and the positive effect biotransformation could have.  Also pitch a lot more yeast cells, yeast struggles at that low of a PH.

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 07:50:07 am »
All good advice, pretty much my kettle souring process. As far as the gose part when is the salt added. I'm planning a fruit gose so I wasn't going to use the coriander. On another forum I read that dry hopping helps with head retention in a sour has anyone experience this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 11:51:18 am »
All good advice, pretty much my kettle souring process. As far as the gose part when is the salt added. I'm planning a fruit gose so I wasn't going to use the coriander. On another forum I read that dry hopping helps with head retention in a sour has anyone experience this.

I added it in last 10 minutes of boil but I don't believe there is any harm in adding it at the end to taste as I've seen that done by reputable sources.

If you haven't checked out the Indian coriander it's kind of a different animal.  That combined with the yeast bio transformation produced a ton of citrus.  So depending on what fruit you're adding it might complement it.  I bought a bunch of it at a Indian grocery store for next to nothing.

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »
Interesting about the coriander. Do you think it would be available from a Pakistani market