Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steeping/Whirlpool Hops  (Read 4367 times)

Offline David

• 1st Kit
Steeping/Whirlpool Hops
« on: July 29, 2017, 07:25:04 am »
Is there a general consensus as to the length of time Steeping/Whirlpool Hops should last?  Generally, I'm thinking 20 minutes, however, I'm interested to hear other opinions. 

Thanks,
DB

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Steeping/Whirlpool Hops
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 08:03:38 am »
You'll get varying responses. I brew a fair amount  of hoppy beers and I like 30 mins for APA, 45-60 mins for AIPA. Both @ 175F for me.
Jon H.

Offline David

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:39:21 am »
Okay, so you steep/whirlpool for as long as 30 minutes to 1 hour putting the heat to it periodically so as not to let the temp drop below 175 degrees?   BTW, presumably during that time you're stirring it all the while...correct?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:51:55 am »
Okay, so you steep/whirlpool for as long as 30 minutes to 1 hour putting the heat to it periodically so as not to let the temp drop below 175 degrees?   BTW, presumably during that time you're stirring it all the while...correct?

Actually, I don't add any further heat during the steep. Some may. People have experimented with temps all the way down to 120F-ish and liked their results.

So I cool to 175F, add the hops and stir, and periodically remove the lid to stir gently. Undoubtedly  the wort is cooling substantially during the steep but it works really well.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 09:09:52 am »

Actually, I don't add any further heat during the steep. Some may. People have experimented with temps all the way down to 120F-ish and liked their results.

So I cool to 175F, add the hops and stir, and periodically remove the lid to stir gently. Undoubtedly  the wort is cooling substantially during the steep but it works really well.

I use a Jaded Hydra with a whirlpool arm to chill.  Once the temp gets to 175-180, I turn off the water but let the pump continue to run to keep the whirlpool going.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:15:34 am »
You'll get varying responses. I brew a fair amount  of hoppy beers and I like 30 mins for APA, 45-60 mins for AIPA. Both @ 175F for me.
This is what I do. Stirring every few minutes or so. I find that the temp drops to around 150F degrees by the end of the steep.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 11:09:32 am »
It depends on what you're going for. For things like pale ales and/or hoppy lagers I like to chill to about 160F and go for 30 minutes. This gives you a nice boost of hop flavor with minimal IBU contribution. This lets you control the hop flavor separately from bittering in styles where you want to control your IBU's.

My best results in an IPA are to skip the bittering addition, and add all my hops in a 60-90 minute whirlpool right at flameout. The hot temps will generate all the IBU's you need (the sample I had analyzed came back at 98 IBU), and I think that it improves flavor extraction.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:47:51 am »
I just brewed an IPA that I've brewed numerous times. I skipped my bittering additions so that I could actually gauge the bitterness from whirlpool. The bitterness is totally different. The batch was  15 gallons in the fermenter. Cooled to 170 w 3 oz ea of Cascade, Centennial, and Citra for 30 minutes. I added 3 oz of each again when I started the CFC again. That addition ended up about 10 min starting at about 150. What I like is the fact that when you drink it the bitterness is so smooth. Whirlpool addition bitterness is slow on the palate. I'm not sure of the IBU, but drinks like a 30ibu beer. My next version will get all additions at flameout, with another charge once it hits 170ish. It lacks some of the bitterness it needs for balance. I do chill and recirculate in the kettle. I'm kegging today, so the bitterness perception could change with the carbonation. I find it nice to get all that fresh hop flavor from the whirlpool, without the palate wrecking bitterness. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 12:40:21 pm »
I just brewed an IPA that I've brewed numerous times. I skipped my bittering additions so that I could actually gauge the bitterness from whirlpool. The bitterness is totally different. The batch was  15 gallons in the fermenter. Cooled to 170 w 3 oz ea of Cascade, Centennial, and Citra for 30 minutes. I added 3 oz of each again when I started the CFC again. That addition ended up about 10 min starting at about 150. What I like is the fact that when you drink it the bitterness is so smooth. Whirlpool addition bitterness is slow on the palate. I'm not sure of the IBU, but drinks like a 30ibu beer. My next version will get all additions at flameout, with another charge once it hits 170ish. It lacks some of the bitterness it needs for balance. I do chill and recirculate in the kettle. I'm kegging today, so the bitterness perception could change with the carbonation. I find it nice to get all that fresh hop flavor from the whirlpool, without the palate wrecking bitterness. 

And this is why I love the all-flameout IPA. My 98 IBU beer could have easily passed for 50-60 IBU, and what bitterness is there is nice and smooth. It has enough of the bitterness that I'm missing from a lot of the NE IPA's out there, but it isn't abrasive at all.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 01:37:45 pm »
And this is why I love the all-flameout IPA. My 98 IBU beer could have easily passed for 50-60 IBU, and what bitterness is there is nice and smooth. It has enough of the bitterness that I'm missing from a lot of the NE IPA's out there, but it isn't abrasive at all.

And conversely, that's exactly why I don't care for all flameout beers.  If I make an IPA, I want to know it's an IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 03:55:26 pm »

And conversely, that's exactly why I don't care for all flameout beers.  If I make an IPA, I want to know it's an IPA.
I get ya Denny. Since I've had zero Homebrew, I've been buying.
I've been buying a lot of IPA brews. They are unbalanced and nothing but bitter. My next will be all hot flameout whirlpool. Then I can go to the bittering amount. I've never had a NEIPA. I doubt they would turn my crank. I have to have bitterness, just not to the Surly Abrasive level. I also know that buying is not an option. I had lost touch with prices. 16oz 4 packs?  $12-$15, come on CO2!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 04:04:55 pm »
Lots of different approaches to get there. As for getting the right level of bitterness, I still like to get the target IBU from a 60 minute addition, then flavor/aroma from a cool enough (175F  or less) steep addition, so as to pick up little to no more noticeable bitterness. Also gives me the freedom to get as much late hop impact as I want without impacting bitterness. Each his own.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 11:37:17 am »
Lots of different approaches to get there. As for getting the right level of bitterness, I still like to get the target IBU from a 60 minute addition, then flavor/aroma from a cool enough (175F  or less) steep addition, so as to pick up little to no more noticeable bitterness. Also gives me the freedom to get as much late hop impact as I want without impacting bitterness. Each his own.

exactly what I like about it.  I do the same as Hoosierbrew mentioned above.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 12:35:07 pm »
There is no substitute for trying all methods and deciding for yourself.  Personally, I prefer hot for 30m and stirred well but the biggest positive impact on my IPA has been DH after cold crashing and racking off yeast.  Still looking for the best way minimize O2 though...  Last attempt failed.  I added 10g of sugar for the transfer and it kicked up the ferment, blew all the hop aroma out the airlock, and dried out the beer.  It was still better than typical commercial fare tho.     
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 03:16:52 pm »

some of these all  fo/dh beers made with galaxy and fermented with fruity yeasts just taste like malty wine coolers to me.