Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-pitch yeast?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Leonard

• 1st Kit
  • Endlessly Obsessing
Re-pitch yeast?
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:34:41 pm »
I brewed an IPA & forgot the whilfloc so I decided to cold crash it a couple days to make sure it cleared up ok.  Well...I had to leave town & other things got in the way.  It's now been sitting almost a month at 34 degrees.  I want to bottle this weekend & am thinking I should re-pitch some yeast.  Should I do this and if I re-pitch, how much should I use?  It's running about 8.14% (OG 1.082 FG 1.020) so I'm worried the yeast is beat up & then chilled out too long to carb up. 

Thanks guys - always appreciate the wisdom from everyone.

Cheers!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Re-pitch yeast?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 03:46:18 am »
You'll likely be OK but for peace of mind, I'd add some yeast when you get ready to bottle.
You don't need much, half a pack of dry yeast will be enough for 5 gal.
I'd rehydrate the yeast to make it easier to mix into the beer.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 03:14:08 pm »
I'd say skip the rehydration, skip the yeast, just bring to +60F and bottle away

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »
You'll likely be OK but for peace of mind, I'd add some yeast when you get ready to bottle.
You don't need much, half a pack of dry yeast will be enough for 5 gal.
I'd rehydrate the yeast to make it easier to mix into the beer.

I would do this. It is cheap assurance to know your IPA will carbonate properly. And at 8+% ABV and 1 mos, your yeast will be pretty "drunk" and tired. Possibly too tired to carbonate your product.