Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Happy Nat'l Chicken Wing Day!  (Read 6802 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Happy Nat'l Chicken Wing Day!
« on: July 29, 2017, 06:02:46 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Happy Nat'l Chicken Wing Day!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:12:17 pm »
Oh yeah. Looks great!
Jon H.

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
Cheers looks great

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 04:39:10 pm »
Look tasty!  How'd you fix em?  I smoked a couple of chickens and a pork shoulder yesterday and brewed a pils and pale ale today. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 06:02:09 pm »
Look tasty!  How'd you fix em?  I smoked a couple of chickens and a pork shoulder yesterday and brewed a pils and pale ale today. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/hot-sweet-and-sticky-chicken-wings

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/hot-sweet-and-sticky-chicken-wings

Thanks for the link.  I'm always trying new sauces

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:16:31 pm »
Makes me wanna do some of my smoked spicy Korean wings. They blow regular Buffalo wings out of the water.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 01:41:43 am »
Makes me wanna do some of my smoked spicy Korean wings. They blow regular Buffalo wings out of the water.

Got a recipe? I've recently discovered the joys of Gochujang, and I'm looking for new ways to abuse it. I have a funny feeling that it will be the next Sriracha.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 05:18:46 am »

Got a recipe? I've recently discovered the joys of Gochujang, and I'm looking for new ways to abuse it. I have a funny feeling that it will be the next Sriracha.

Yep, I'll post when I get home from work. And I agree with Gochujang being the next Sriracha. Stuff is fantastic.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 04:03:13 pm »

Here it is:

SAUCE (for ~ 15 wings-ish, scale for volume) - heat to dissolve sugar. No need to reduce. This sauce is gold.

3 tablespoons Gochujang
1/2 teaspoon Gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes), or to taste
Garlic to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons water

Garnish with sesame seeds and thinly sliced scallions/green onions.

If there's not an Asian grocery nearby, the Gochujang and Gochugaru can be found on Amazon (go figure).

PROCEDURE
When possible, I like to smoke the wings first, then add to hot oil for a couple minutes to crisp the exterior, then toss with the sauce and garnish last. But the sauce would obviously be great on wings prepared any way you like. Enjoy!

Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 07:41:19 pm »

Here it is:

SAUCE (for ~ 15 wings-ish, scale for volume) - heat to dissolve sugar. No need to reduce. This sauce is gold.

3 tablespoons Gochujang
Garlic to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water

If there's not an Asian grocery nearby, the Gochujang and Gochugaru can be found on Amazon (go figure).

PROCEDURE
When possible, I like to smoke the wings first, then add to hot oil for a couple minutes to crisp the exterior, then toss with the sauce and garnish last. But the sauce would obviously be great on wings prepared any way you like. Enjoy!
You smoke these wing with any particular wood or charcoal only?  I have a water smoker, but I could run it dry if needed. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 05:20:46 am »

Here it is:

3 tablespoons Gochujang
Garlic to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water

PROCEDURE
You smoke these wing with any particular wood or charcoal only?  I have a water smoker, but I could run it dry if needed. 

I'm a hickory fan, but I've also done these with apple and pecan with great results. It's hard to go wrong when you add that sauce.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:06:22 pm »

Here it is:

3 tablespoons Gochujang
Garlic to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water

PROCEDURE
Thanks! I've been doing a lot of grilled chicken tenderloin skewers this summer (trying to eat a bit more healthy as of late), and this sounds like a great marinade/sauce.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 07:21:53 pm »

Here it is:

3 tablespoons Gochujang
Garlic to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water

PROCEDURE
Thanks! I've been doing a lot of grilled chicken tenderloin skewers this summer (trying to eat a bit more healthy as of late), and this sounds like a great marinade/sauce.

I'd love to hear what you think. You could put that sauce on an old shoe and it'd be pretty good! Speaking of grilled chicken skewers, I've used it as a 'satay' dipping sauce (not exactly Korean) and it's great.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 01:29:40 pm »

Here it is:

3 tablespoons Gochujang
Garlic to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water

PROCEDURE

I'd love to hear what you think. You could put that sauce on an old shoe and it'd be pretty good! Speaking of grilled chicken skewers, I've used it as a 'satay' dipping sauce (not exactly Korean) and it's great.

Here it is:

3 tablespoons Gochujang
Garlic to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water

PROCEDURE

I'm a hickory fan, but I've also done these with apple and pecan with great results. It's hard to go wrong when you add that sauce.
Edit: wrong vinegar and found the soy!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:45:04 pm by JT »