Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great find!  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
Great find!
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:35:42 am »
I just came across this site, and I'm thinking of building my own 1.5bbl setup. I looked around for all the parts I would need, and I think I could build a 55 gallon temperature controlled brew kettle for under $1000.

http://www.usedstainlesssteelbarrels.com

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
Re: Great find!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:50:34 am »
On a slightly different note (didn't want to start a new thread for this idea, since it goes along with building custom brewing equipment), As some of you may know the Grainfather connect has a bluetooth enabled temp controller. I've been looking around for bluetooth temperature controllers, and there's really nothing out there. I've worked with electronics most of my life, including micro-controllers, circuit board design, etc. I currently build electrical control systems for mega yachts. If I were to design and build bluetooth enabled controllers for brew kettles with pump controls etc, would that be something the majority of brewers might be interested in?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:58:08 am »
I have a Grainfather Connect with Bluetooth and I really don't find it all that useful.  Cute gimmick, but since BT range is so limited it really doesn't do anything I couldn't do manually.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:09:44 pm »
I have a Grainfather Connect with Bluetooth and I really don't find it all that useful.  Cute gimmick, but since BT range is so limited it really doesn't do anything I couldn't do manually.

It could be made to connect to a WiFi network instead of BT. That would allow the flexibility of greater range, being able to control and upload recipes straight from a computer. I do agree with you, the range of BT is way too limited and makes it almost pointless. Even wireless connectivity aside, I can't help but think an all-in-one brew kettle controller of some sort might prove handy for a lot of home brewers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:28:34 pm »

It could be made to connect to a WiFi network instead of BT. That would allow the flexibility of greater range, being able to control and upload recipes straight from a computer. I do agree with you, the range of BT is way too limited and makes it almost pointless. Even wireless connectivity aside, I can't help but think an all-in-one brew kettle controller of some sort might prove handy for a lot of home brewers.

OK, sell me..handy in what way?  All you have to do with a boil kettle is input your mash schedule.  How difficult is that to do manually?  How would connectivity improve that?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 12:37:05 pm »

OK, sell me..handy in what way?  All you have to do with a boil kettle is input your mash schedule.  How difficult is that to do manually?  How would connectivity improve that?

It wouldn't. Like you said, it's more of a gimmick than anything. That's why I said "connectivity aside", having a robust, easy to use controller for brewers looking to build their own brew kettles might be handy. I haven't looked around, maybe there are already readily available brew kettle controllers. It was just an idea, because I love building things.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 01:38:32 pm »

It wouldn't. Like you said, it's more of a gimmick than anything. That's why I said "connectivity aside", having a robust, easy to use controller for brewers looking to build their own brew kettles might be handy. I haven't looked around, maybe there are already readily available brew kettle controllers. It was just an idea, because I love building things.

Which is the best reason to do it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 02:18:52 pm »
I use Brewpi software for my fermentation chamber employing a raspberry pi, arduino, and relays. It has network connectivity and you can add a wi-fi module to the pi.  That concept could be employed for the hot side.  In fact the brewpi developers are into that now with spark.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:43:05 pm »
I use Brewpi software for my fermentation chamber employing a raspberry pi, arduino, and relays. It has network connectivity and you can add a wi-fi module to the pi.  That concept could be employed for the hot side.  In fact the brewpi developers are into that now with spark.

I can see it for a fermenter, but for a kettle?  Doesn't seem necessary or particularly useful.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »

I can see it for a fermenter, but for a kettle?  Doesn't seem necessary or particularly useful.

Reduces active time for one. I have 2 kids under 4 and weekend brewing time is at a premium. I'm building a Raspberry Pi based unit to automate the hot side and drastically reduce active time on brew day

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 03:08:06 pm »

Reduces active time for one. I have 2 kids under 4 and weekend brewing time is at a premium. I'm building a Raspberry Pi based unit to automate the hot side and drastically reduce active time on brew day

Other than setting mash schedule, like the Grainfather Connect, is there anything else you need?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 03:33:56 pm »

theelectricbrewery.com

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

The Beerery

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 03:36:12 pm »
The only manual tasks I do with my brewery is add grain, and add hops (working on the hops part). Otherwise everything from fill vessels, preboiling, cooling, moving strike, doughing in, step mashing, moving wort to the bk, boiling. Cooling and everything is done while I am away.  Elements, flow sensors, pressure sensors, 3 pumps, 2 chillers, and 16 electric ball valves do all the work on brewday. 
Once transferred the beers go into individual fermentation chambers that run preset fermentation profiles all while logging and graphing everything. I can (it can) manage all temps to a tenth of a degree and I can replicate and reproduce the hot side brewing and fermenting process to a level that most larger breweries dream of. 

This takes out human error and I can always make the exact beer I set out to.  This is what makes brewing fun for me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 03:42:42 pm »
You should look into craftbeerpi. Brewpi has been in development for too long. I fear the lead guy is too into having everything be perfect that he will never get a final product out the door. Bro has been talking about mash control for 5 years. Meanwhile craftbeerpi has accelerated development by allowing developers to create plugins that add functionality in v.3. Every gripe I've had with craftbeerpi has been solved by a plugin.

The Beerery

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 04:12:58 pm »
You should look into craftbeerpi. Brewpi has been in development for too long. I fear the lead guy is too into having everything be perfect that he will never get a final product out the door. Bro has been talking about mash control for 5 years. Meanwhile craftbeerpi has accelerated development by allowing developers to create plugins that add functionality in v.3. Every gripe I've had with craftbeerpi has been solved by a plugin.

My Craftbrewpi single vessel rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk