Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great find!  (Read 5244 times)

Big Monk

Re: Great find!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 04:20:23 pm »
I use Brewpi software for my fermentation chamber employing a raspberry pi, arduino, and relays. It has network connectivity and you can add a wi-fi module to the pi.  That concept could be employed for the hot side.  In fact the brewpi developers are into that now with spark.

I can see it for a fermenter, but for a kettle?  Doesn't seem necessary or particularly useful.

Reduces active time for one. I have 2 kids under 4 and weekend brewing time is at a premium. I'm building a Raspberry Pi based unit to automate the hot side and drastically reduce active time on brew day

Other than setting mash schedule, like the Grainfather Connect, is there anything else you need?

That's the whole point. Automation reduces active time by getting me out of the brewery for manual tasks like changing temps, opening valves, etc. It heats my strike water, controls power and flow to my pump.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 04:56:18 pm »
.... everything from fill vessels, preboiling, cooling, moving strike, doughing in, step mashing, moving wort to the bk, boiling. Cooling and everything is done while I am away.  Elements, flow sensors, pressure sensors, 3 pumps, 2 chillers, and 16 electric ball valves do all the work on brewday ...... this is what makes brewing fun for me.
::)

If you're not home while you're homebrewing, is it homebrewing?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 05:02:25 pm »
If I could find a robot to clean for me, I'd be all about it. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

The Beerery

Great find!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 05:03:02 pm »
.... everything from fill vessels, preboiling, cooling, moving strike, doughing in, step mashing, moving wort to the bk, boiling. Cooling and everything is done while I am away.  Elements, flow sensors, pressure sensors, 3 pumps, 2 chillers, and 16 electric ball valves do all the work on brewday ...... this is what makes brewing fun for me.

I'm there in spirit.

Actually I joke about this a lot.  "I am not a homebrewer.  I just happen to have a professional brewery in the basement of my house. "

Actually I am there quite a bit when I brew. I am doing other things.  But I am usually somewhere in the vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:04:48 pm by The Beerery »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 09:50:29 pm »
Congratulations.  You are all doing your best to ruin what was once a fine hobby.  ;)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 01:23:13 pm »

This is always what I run up against with the stuff like PicoBrew and the other fully automated systems.. the literal set it and forget it.. load your grain and hops the night before and set a timer like a coffee maker..

To me that's not brewing... but hey.. to each their own. 

I wouldn't mind an automated mashing system like a grainfather, and then the rest I still have to do on my own, but for now I don't have room for even that much.. oh well.. pot on the stove it is.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 01:40:31 pm »
This is always what I run up against with the stuff like PicoBrew and the other fully automated systems.. the literal set it and forget it.. load your grain and hops the night before and set a timer like a coffee maker..

To me that's not brewing... but hey.. to each their own. 

I wouldn't mind an automated mashing system like a grainfather, and then the rest I still have to do on my own, but for now I don't have room for even that much.. oh well.. pot on the stove it is.

I use coolers, a Grainfather, a Zymatic and a Pico...to me, they're al brewing, just in different ways.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 02:41:31 pm »

I'm there in spirit.

Actually I joke about this a lot.  "I am not a homebrewer.  I just happen to have a professional brewery in the basement of my house. "

Actually I am there quite a bit when I brew. I am doing other things.  But I am usually somewhere in the vicinity.

what kind of reactions to people give you when you say this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:56 pm »
I AM a homebrewer.  Not interested in having a commercial brewery in the house.  A system like that holds no interest for me.  But we all get to decide for ourselves.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 03:15:06 pm »
I have no desire to pay the taxes or deal with the BS a lot of pros have to deal with, so you will never catch me calling anything I do professional, regardless of my brew rig.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 03:16:49 pm »

I'm there in spirit.

what kind of reactions to people give you when you say this?
I bet they say, "that's neat. You're wife must be a pretty hip lady. Mine won't let me get a boat."

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 04:57:59 pm »

I'm there in spirit.

What are you going to do when the brewery no longer needs you?

Big Monk

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 07:18:49 pm »

I AM a homebrewer.  Not interested in having a commercial brewery in the house.  A system like that holds no interest for me.  But we all get to decide for ourselves.

Where did you leave your sense of humor Denny?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 08:39:34 am »

I'm there in spirit.

What are you going to do when the brewery no longer needs you?

Or when it becomes aware?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 09:14:12 am »
With awareness will come a deep desire to drive profit. Don't be surprised when barrels of rice syrup show up at your door.