Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: To dry  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
To dry
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:32 pm »
My last ESB finished at .010 which was fine. But half the batch I aged on some Bret C and it went to .002. what can I do to get more body. I'm thinking flaked oats or increase the mash temp. This batch was mashed at 154 or so
"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: To dry
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:59:43 pm »
My last ESB finished at .010 which was fine. But half the batch I aged on some Bret C and it went to .002. what can I do to get more body. I'm thinking flaked oats or increase the mash temp. This batch was mashed at 154 or so

Not use Brett as a secondary fermenting yeast...  ;)

In all jest, Brett will pretty much chew down slowly on anything left behind in your beer. A higher mash temp could be helpful here, but it will still slowly eat through most of the residual sugars left behind.

My only suggestion would simply be to not age your beer that long with the brett. But if bottling this could cause a problem due to overcarbonation.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:58:41 am »
Any high protein grain will be a good option. Brett won't churn through the protein, which will add body to the beer. Oats are a good option because they are so flavor neutral in beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:36 am »
Add gypsum or calcium chloride.  Water with high mineral content can have a lot of mouthfeel.  Obviously adding gypsum or calcium chloride can have significant flavor effects.

High and low carbonation can provide body.

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
I'll add the oats to the next one. This one I pulled the gas off to let it flatten out. I generally like my British bitters less carbonated anyway. Thanks for the replies

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:03:34 am »
Leveled out to about 1.8 Vols co2 and it's makes a big difference. I always forget how important carbonation levels are