Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Guinness Bright - Malaysia-only "Smooth and Fresh" Stout, 4.5% ABV  (Read 3196 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
I thought some of you guys would be interested in reading about this beer that I am drinking right now in my hotel in Kuala Lumpur. Anyway, Guinness Bright. This was poured from a can and it is a regular CO2-carbonated beer.

A: Tart and roasty, similar to cold filtered coffee (not cold brewed). No heat. Slightly fruity, but no more than cold coffee, so really that is the dominant aroma. No hops. No caramel. Nothing really other than an acidic coffee-like roasty-fruity aroma.

A: Black and crystal-clear. Maybe 5 SRM lighter than regular Guinness. Maybe the same color. Tan head that lasts about a tenth of a second. 

T: Smooth, balanced bitterness, leaning towards sweet. Mild flavor with a low-level Hershey's chocolate aftertaste. Flavor is pretty simple: sweet and slightly tart, with the same savory "soy sauce" quality that I get from regular Guinness and attribute to the partially soured mash.

M: Light-medium body, like a mass-produced Pale or Amber Ale.  Not creamy. Not sprightly. Moderate carbonation.

OA: This is a fine porter or stout, but nothing to write home about. It would be for someone who finds Black Butte Porter "too roasty and hoppy" and who wants a beer to taste like cheap coffee. It's not for me, but it really isn't bad. It is certainly unique. The tartness is pretty bold for a mass-produced beer of any kind. I wouldn't order one in a bar, but I don't hate it.