Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ideas for recipe improvement!  (Read 5624 times)

Offline PDY

• 1st Kit
Ideas for recipe improvement!
« on: August 01, 2017, 04:11:05 am »
Hi guys,

I brewed the below the other day, looking for a very simple, light, summery beer. Its delicious, but there's something missing. I think it just needs a bit more flavour, something to lift it a bit, maybe more on the nose?

Thought I'd ask you guys what you thought and how you'd improve it.

Batch size: 18.5 gallons
23.35lb - Pilsner
4.4lb - Munich
1.3lb Carapils

Mash at 149 for 60

1oz Nugget - 60
1oz Cascade - 20
0.5oz Cascade - 0

US05 yeast
OG 1.048
FG 1.011
ABV 4.9%

Thanks!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Ideas for recipe improvement!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:47:14 am »
The amount of hops seems low for a 18.5 gal batch.
For a similar beer, I plan for 25-30 IBU with a similar schedule.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 05:56:19 am »
I agree that the hops are pretty low.  What was your target IBU? I'm assuming this is something in the pilsner type genre looking at the grain bill, so you don't want to go overboard on hops, but I use more than that for a 3 gallon batch (granted, those are IPAs). 

Also, you might want to add just a small amount of simple sugar to drop the FG.  1.011 is pretty good, but if you could dry it out just a touch more (say, 1.007) that would add some crispness to it and add to that thirst quenching quality you're looking for.  American Lager runs from 1.004-1.010.  Cream Ale 1.006-1.012.  You're in the neighborhood for sure, but to my taste a little dryer would be better.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:12 am »
Hi guys,

I brewed the below the other day, looking for a very simple, light, summery beer. Its delicious, but there's something missing. I think it just needs a bit more flavour, something to lift it a bit, maybe more on the nose?

Thought I'd ask you guys what you thought and how you'd improve it.

23.35lb - Pilsner
4.4lb - Munich
1.3lb Carapils

Mash at 149 for 60

1oz Nugget - 60
1oz Cascade - 20
0.5oz Cascade - 0

US05 yeast
OG 1.048
FG 1.011
ABV 4.9%

Thanks!

I would personally tweak it as follows, and see if you get what you're looking for.

20.35lb - Pilsner
7.4lb - Munich
1.3lb Carapils

Mash at 149 for 60

2oz Saaz - 60
2oz Amarillo - 20
1oz Amarillo - 0

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:11:55 am »
A more esters yeast might help. If you like dry yeast try BRY-97, but it is a slow starter, so don't be alarmed. I might do a smaller batch with it before committing to 18 gallons.

More hops as others have said.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline PDY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:52:08 am »
Thanks all, really helpful.

This one comes in at about 18 IBUs. I was trying to avoid ultra-hoppy, as i didnt want an IPA which is why i kept it low, but you're right i probably should use more. Would you suggest adding at the 20min or 0 mark rather than increasing the Nugget amount?

Yep definitely going for dry, so good shout on the sugar addition. Also, have never tried anything with Saaz or Amarillo so sounds like a good excuse to.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:14 am »
May want to look at mash pH as well as water profile. I think I've read somewhere that too high pH can lead to "flabby" tasting beer. Also a bit more sulfate can crisp it up and pop the hops.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 01:22:16 pm »
18 IBU would be a bit low for me, but that's personal preference. If you want more on the nose, I would suggest adding dry hops. Cascade dry hops on their own can be disappointingly subtle. I would try Lemon drop, which is very similar to Cascade but brighter and more floral/tropical. If you want to avoid dry hops, increase the flameout addition.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 04:47:18 pm »
Drop the carapils and sub it with German Carahell. It is a light (10L) german cara malt and provides quite a bit of flavor and body enhancers.

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 06:21:36 am »
Thanks all, really helpful.

This one comes in at about 18 IBUs. I was trying to avoid ultra-hoppy, as i didnt want an IPA which is why i kept it low, but you're right i probably should use more. Would you suggest adding at the 20min or 0 mark rather than increasing the Nugget amount?

Yep definitely going for dry, so good shout on the sugar addition. Also, have never tried anything with Saaz or Amarillo so sounds like a good excuse to.

I suggested the Saaz and Amarillo because they are flowery and with citrus notes, but are not at all overpowering. Every time before I decide to use a hop in a beer I taste some of it to see exactly what I'm putting in my beer. While I've had some hops that make me pucker, and I taste for hours afterward, the Amarillo was extremely flavorful and pleasant, the saaz was similar but with slightly more spice and earthy tones. Even my friend who doesn't like IPAs or hop flavor in general liked the Amarillo.

Offline MrPowers

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 09:53:17 am »
Drop the carapils and sub it with German Carahell. It is a light (10L) german cara malt and provides quite a bit of flavor and body enhancers.

I second this. I quit using carapils completely, I found it never added much over plain base malt. However Carahell is something special and will definitely help fill out a lighter beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:02 am »

I second this. I quit using carapils completely, I found it never added much over plain base malt. However Carahell is something special and will definitely help fill out a lighter beer.

+2.  Carahell is an excellent malt. Carapils, not so much IMO.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 10:14:12 am »
OTOH, I still find a place for carapils sometimes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline PDY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 03:47:38 pm »
Yeah I got into the habit of mashing at a lowish temp, then adding Carapils for body. Not tried Carahell but will check it out.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 04:02:01 pm »
OTOH, I still find a place for carapils sometimes.

I don't hate it, Denny. I don't buy the foam positive thing, though. I think it might be foam negative, or at very least doesn't help foam - just my take. As for body, it can be a help in some beers. I just don't use it much any more.
Jon H.