Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny the Elder  (Read 3966 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Pliny the Elder
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 07:54:02 am »
Russian rivers... they have the best one🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I tried to find a recipe for the Russian River Pliny but no luck. Any help?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 12:34:46 pm »
thanks!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 12:42:32 pm »
Blind pig made by who?
Russian River Blind Pig IPA. Here is a clone recipe.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/russian-river-blind-pig-ipa-clone/

I made and currently have on tap this recipe for Blind Pig and can vouch that it makes a delicious beer! 

I've also made and enjoyed very much the AHA recipe for Pliney the Elder.  However, I never understood why the recipe estimates 90 - 95 IBUs, while the actually Pliney comes in IIRC at 72 IBUs.  Maybe the earlier version was a hoppier beer.  Can anyone explain the discrepancy? 

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 07:54:20 pm »
I just brewed Pliny The Elder today. I can't wait to try it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 07:37:56 am »
Blind pig made by who?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/russian-river-blind-pig-ipa-clone/

I made and currently have on tap this recipe for Blind Pig and can vouch that it makes a delicious beer! 

I've also made and enjoyed very much the AHA recipe for Pliney the Elder.  However, I never understood why the recipe estimates 90 - 95 IBUs, while the actually Pliney comes in IIRC at 72 IBUs.  Maybe the earlier version was a hoppier beer.  Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
If you read the article that had the recipe in Zymurgy, Vinnie said it tested at 95 IBU in the lab. A few years later Mitch Steele's IPA book came out, and it tested at 65 IBUs in Stone's lab. Other's have said 65 IBUs in their Labs.

Russian River uses Hop extract for bittering, dialing it back is easy. Why would he do that? My guess is to make it easier to drink more. Many of the west coast IPAs seem less abrasive to me. Oh, I had a couple Plinys in the LA area last January, and they seemed less bitter than ~10 years ago.

I think the IBU wars are over, now it is the haze wars.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 12:32:39 am »
Blind pig made by who?

If you read the article that had the recipe in Zymurgy, Vinnie said it tested at 95 IBU in the lab. A few years later Mitch Steele's IPA book came out, and it tested at 65 IBUs in Stone's lab. Other's have said 65 IBUs in their Labs.

Russian River uses Hop extract for bittering, dialing it back is easy. Why would he do that? My guess is to make it easier to drink more. Many of the west coast IPAs seem less abrasive to me. Oh, I had a couple Plinys in the LA area last January, and they seemed less bitter than ~10 years ago.

I think the IBU wars are over, now it is the haze wars.

Thanks Jeff.  That makes sense.  However, I must admit that when I've done a side by side, my clone just tasted more hoppy and bitter.   Cheers.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:47 am »
FWIW, the hop bill has changed over the year, while the grains and sugar addition has been pretty much constant.

Here is the hop bill from 2006.

Chinook leaf 13% 1.5 oz. Mash Hop (Yes, another old recipe, but it was Russian River's at the time)
Warrior pellet 15.6% 2.75 oz. 90 min
Columbus leaf 14.3% 0.5 oz. 90 min
Simcoe pellet 12.0% 1 oz. 45 min
Cententiial leaf 9.1% 2.25 0 min
Simcoe pellet 12.0% 1 oz. 0 min
Columbus leaf 14.3% 1 oz. dry
Centennial leaf 9.1% 0.75 oz. dry
Simcoe leaf 12.0% 1.25 oz. dry

I have brewed this version a couple of times and loved it.  Tried the newer 2012 recipe once, and did not like it as much - a little more dank than the original.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »
FWIW, the hop bill has changed over the year, while the grains and sugar addition has been pretty much constant.

Chinook leaf 13% 1.5 oz. Mash Hop (Yes, another old recipe, but it was Russian River's at the time)

I have brewed this version a couple of times and loved it.  Tried the newer 2012 recipe once, and did not like it as much - a little more dank than the original.

That calculated to about 235 IBUs, which freaked people out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 06:31:17 pm »

But it is awfully good.  The only issue with the recipe is the amount of wort absorbed by the hops.  As later recipes noted, I scaled up to 8 gallons, in order to collect 5.  Wretched excess. But quite wonderful.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:20 pm »

But it is awfully good.  The only issue with the recipe is the amount of wort absorbed by the hops.  As later recipes noted, I scaled up to 8 gallons, in order to collect 5.  Wretched excess. But quite wonderful.
I have done the same.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild