Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ideas for recipe improvement!  (Read 5589 times)

The Beerery

Re: Ideas for recipe improvement!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 04:57:51 pm »
It's actually been proven carapils is foam negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »

Not surprised. I read something to that effect and couldn't  remember the source. Matches my experience.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »

Not surprised. I read something to that effect and couldn't  remember the source. Matches my experience.

Bamforth, actually.  There is a slide from a presentation floating around here somewhere. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 08:23:36 pm »
Wan't that also including most cara/crystal malts?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 09:06:52 am »
OTOH, I still find a place for carapils sometimes.

I don't hate it, Denny. I don't buy the foam positive thing, though. I think it might be foam negative, or at very least doesn't help foam - just my take. As for body, it can be a help in some beers. I just don't use it much any more.

As detailed in this article (http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques), if you don't have foam problems, adding foam positive elements won't help.  Of if you have certain foam issues (not that you do), adding foam positive elements won't help.  I long ago concluded from my experience that wheat and carapils do nothing for foam, at least in the ways homebrewers usually think of.  I use carapils to add body if needed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 09:19:05 am »

I don't hate it, Denny. I don't buy the foam positive thing, though. I think it might be foam negative, or at very least doesn't help foam - just my take. As for body, it can be a help in some beers. I just don't use it much any more.

As detailed in this article (http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques), if you don't have foam problems, adding foam positive elements won't help.  Of if you have certain foam issues (not that you do), adding foam positive elements won't help.  I long ago concluded from my experience that wheat and carapils do nothing for foam, at least in the ways homebrewers usually think of.  I use carapils to add body if needed.

Yep, gotcha.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 09:26:16 am »

Not that I am saying that isn't a good article, but that article is 12 years old now..Many things are known/tested/different.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 10:11:25 am »

Not that I am saying that isn't a good article, but that article is 12 years old now..Many things are known/tested/different.

Such as?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 10:54:02 am »

Such as?

Have some here:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/list-of-brewing-references/

A simple search in my copy of Kunze, yielded like 100 results.

Umm..

Malts, and malting
mashing and mash rests
acidiciation of mash
hops
spunding

Are some that came quickly to mind.

There is a silver bullet to good foam as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:58:29 am by The Beerery »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 11:13:06 am »
The only low oxygen technique I have adopted is a gentle boil. My foam is great.

The Beerery

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 11:53:28 am »
Right so I got cut off before expounding. The silver bullet to worldly foam according to me.

Use quality malts, nothing special needed (carapils, carafoam, chit malt, etc)
Minimize splashing and foaming at all points in the brewing process
Step mash, DO NOT use the 156 rest, I swear thats a made up rest. Use 162-3 for at least 20 minutes (I do 30)
Aciduate your mash to between 5.2-5.4
Get clear mash and post boil wort
Use a soft boil
Have a good healthy fermentation with minimal lag (try to get that under 8hrs)
Spund, and or naturally carbonate the beer. Active yeast under pressure create gylcerol, which is very foam positive.

You do all of that and the foam will be marvelous, every time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 12:37:19 pm »
Except for when it's marvelous without doing that.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »

No one is denying that. Differing methods can yield the same results in some areas of brewing.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ideas for recipe improvement!
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 05:57:32 pm »

No one is denying that. Differing methods can yield the same results in some areas of brewing.

Such as....

Seriously I'd like to know. Some of the things you mention are doable. If there are others I'd be interested in hearing what they are to see if they are doable.

Also, when you spund a lager at what point do you transfer into the keg? (Edit: disregard --found it: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28329.0)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:19:11 pm by BrewBama »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 06:33:19 pm »
I spund, and ideally you transfer with around 4 points of extract left. For me, pitching a lot of lager yeast, I keg average strength
lagers on day 5ish. I'm usually at FG a couple days later, then pump out excess yeast a couple times and then crash/lager.
Jon H.