Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cider:water ratio for a cyser?  (Read 8250 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: cider:water ratio for a cyser?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 07:38:53 am »
The brew went extraordinarily well. The ratio ended up being:

3 gallons of cider
2 gallons of water
13lbs honey
came to OG 1.104

Heated to 170, added 5 tsp Fermax, let sit at 170 for about 15 minutes. Cooled, pitched Champagne and Chardonnay yeast from starter. 15 hours later only bubbling at a rate of about 1 burp every 1-2 seconds. Hmmmm. If it isn't roaring by this afternoon I'll dump a packet of dry champagne yeast and hope it takes off.

Low and slow is the better way to go.  Aim for 55 to 60 F and give it a good couple of months.  Don't be in a rush.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 07:45:25 am »
My cyser ended up like this

8 gallons cider
 12 # honey (1 gallon)
1 1/2 gallons water

11% potential alcohol
2 packets d-47   64 F
Degassing and adding nutrient on a typical schedule.
Its fermenting nicely
When primary is finished it will get racked into two 5 gallon carboys and stored at room temperature for a few months then racked again and stored in the cool cellar until bottled 1 year from now.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 06:51:36 am »
After posting here this morning, I got to thinking about a specific recipe for my "morat"/cyser -- I just learned the term "morat" is used for mulberry mead, and that's sort of what I'm going for, except that I want about half my base fermentables from cider and not all honey.  The 1 liter of mulberry should be sufficient for that flavor but if not I have a second liter that I could add in secondary.  So here's what I've kind of figured out, for anyone interested -- this is for 3 gallons of "morat/cyser", planned OG of 1.057-ish and ABV 7.5%-ish:

2.5 lb local basswood and apple blossom honeys (about a 50/50 mix)
1.6 gallons local unpasteurized cider (most likely McIntosh, Cortland, Wealthy, and other local culinaries)
1 liter commercial mulberry juice
0.9 gallon municipal tap water (heated to eliminate chlorine)
1 pack Cote des Blancs yeast

I'm a heat pasteurization guy, as I trust nothing to chance or to sulfites, so I will heat treat the must to about 160 F for 15 minutes, then cool and pitch.  I'm also a bit of a purist, so there will be no chemical additions of any kind, except for possible gelatin (see later) and possible traces of sorbate in the commercial mulberry juice.  Ferment at around 55 F for a month or two, racking once per week to slow the fermentation even more and hopefully stall it out around 1.010.  If proceeding too quickly (as is often the case!), I will hit with gelatin and chill further (probably in my garage in winter!) to knock out the yeast even further.  Want this to finish above 1.000, and 1.005-1.010 would be best.  Eventually after several months, bring up in temperature for a little bit and ensure fermentation is pretty much dead, then prime and bottle.  If I absolutely have to, I'll add sorbate.  Yummy mulberry apple honey wine-cooler!!!!!

I'll confess I'm not a snobbish mead guy at all, I just know what I like and I make it to suit my own tastes!  And I believe this will do the trick VERY nicely.  I can't wait!  Should be heavenly, and not so dang strong so I can drink it like Kool-Aid -- I know -- blasphemy!  It's gonna be great though.

I finally entered this stuff into competition.  Bringing home a silver out of 17 entries.  Heat pasteurized.  No sulfites.  No sorbate.  Tasted smooth like a wine cooler, but 9% ABV after all was said & done.  None left.  Goodbye, Morat Cyser.

http://stlbrews.brewcompetition.com/
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 11:41:47 am »
After posting here this morning, I got to thinking about a specific recipe for my "morat"/cyser -- I just learned the term "morat" is used for mulberry mead, and that's sort of what I'm going for, except that I want about half my base fermentables from cider and not all honey.  The 1 liter of mulberry should be sufficient for that flavor but if not I have a second liter that I could add in secondary.  So here's what I've kind of figured out, for anyone interested -- this is for 3 gallons of "morat/cyser", planned OG of 1.057-ish and ABV 7.5%-ish:

2.5 lb local basswood and apple blossom honeys (about a 50/50 mix)
1.6 gallons local unpasteurized cider (most likely McIntosh, Cortland, Wealthy, and other local culinaries)
1 liter commercial mulberry juice
0.9 gallon municipal tap water (heated to eliminate chlorine)
1 pack Cote des Blancs yeast

I'm a heat pasteurization guy, as I trust nothing to chance or to sulfites, so I will heat treat the must to about 160 F for 15 minutes, then cool and pitch.  I'm also a bit of a purist, so there will be no chemical additions of any kind, except for possible gelatin (see later) and possible traces of sorbate in the commercial mulberry juice.  Ferment at around 55 F for a month or two, racking once per week to slow the fermentation even more and hopefully stall it out around 1.010.  If proceeding too quickly (as is often the case!), I will hit with gelatin and chill further (probably in my garage in winter!) to knock out the yeast even further.  Want this to finish above 1.000, and 1.005-1.010 would be best.  Eventually after several months, bring up in temperature for a little bit and ensure fermentation is pretty much dead, then prime and bottle.  If I absolutely have to, I'll add sorbate.  Yummy mulberry apple honey wine-cooler!!!!!

I'll confess I'm not a snobbish mead guy at all, I just know what I like and I make it to suit my own tastes!  And I believe this will do the trick VERY nicely.  I can't wait!  Should be heavenly, and not so dang strong so I can drink it like Kool-Aid -- I know -- blasphemy!  It's gonna be great though.

I finally entered this stuff into competition.  Bringing home a silver out of 17 entries.  Heat pasteurized.  No sulfites.  No sorbate.  Tasted smooth like a wine cooler, but 9% ABV after all was said & done.  None left.  Goodbye, Morat Cyser.

Since you heat-pasteurized, did you bottle this still?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 12:01:08 pm »
Not sure I understand the wording of your question, so I'll provide answers for all interpretations.  Heat pasteurized into the fermenter, not at the end.  Yes, it was bottled.  It turned out very dry, and sparkling.  I primed it with honey.

And.... turns out my silver took Best of Show.  I'm beyond excited!  Too bad there's none left.  No one loved it before, though, so why should they now?!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:03:52 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:01 pm »
Not sure I understand the wording of your question, so I'll provide answers for all interpretations.  Heat pasteurized into the fermenter, not at the end.  Yes, it was bottled.  It turned out very dry, and sparkling.  I primed it with honey.

And.... turns out my silver took Best of Show.  I'm beyond excited!  Too bad there's none left.  No one loved it before, though, so why should they now?!

Gotcha... I had assumed that you referring to heat-pasteurizing to stabilize post fermentation and therefore bottled it as a still, sweet mead rather than carbonated and dry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer