Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brew time before compatitions?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
brew time before compatitions?
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:29:19 pm »
From brew day to when Beers are at their best. Tell me how long beers will last and how long you plan before the competitions.
             IPA
             Pilsners
             Stouts
             Light beers
             Dark beers

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: brew time before compatitions?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 02:02:16 pm »
From brew day to when Beers are at their best. Tell me how long beers will last and how long you plan before the competitions.
             IPA
             Pilsners
             Stouts
             Light beers
             Dark beers

IPAs- I brew around 3 weeks before submission deadline if I hand carry. I add an extra week if I'm shipping.
Pils - I brew around 7-8 weeks before submission date.
Stouts - I brew around 8 weeks before submission for stouts other than RIS. I try to enter RIS that's 6+ months old when I submit.
Light beer - too vague. Example, a blonde ale maybe 6 weeks prior. A Belgian Tripel or Helles Bock, a few months.
Dark beer - again too vague. An American Brown, maybe 6 weeks prior. A Belgian Quad, close to a year good, 1-2 years better.
Jon H.

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 02:25:49 pm »
thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for.. but lets add in a Festbier and  marzen for giggles
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:27:46 pm by russell »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 02:38:16 pm »
thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for.. but lets add in a Festbier and  marzen for giggles

People brew lagers differently, but average strength lagers can be comp ready in 8 weeks-ish IMO. Longer for bocks.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 02:59:56 pm »
             IPA
             Pilsners
             Stouts
             Light beers
             Dark beers

a lot of this depends on how well your beer was handled and packaged.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:42:36 pm »
They're all best fresh.  About 3-4 weeks from brew day to glass is probably optimal for most beers.  Stronger ones or cold-fermented ones (like lagers) can take an extra couple weeks.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 04:52:36 pm »
I have found that if the beer is soundly brewed and well packaged to minimize oxygen, that even 3 wk old (as in layered for 3 wks) light lagers can medal in decent sized comps. IPA's should be brewed to enter at their peak freshness, which for me is pretty much as soon as they are carbonated. Darker beers can benefit from a bit more time to allow the malts to come together more, but they don't need as much time as you may think.

Even stronger ABV beers can still be turned around pretty quickly providing they have a simple grain bill. For example, I have medaled with Belgian Tripels that were under 2 mos old and over 9%. You really have to play around with what your system can do for you and how good your packaging is. Enter lots of different styles of beer in lots of different comps so you can start to see how your own timeline progresses.