Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Competition Online Entry & Mgmt Software - Anyone recommend a web host?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline travcam

• 1st Kit
I've tried setting the BCOEM software up on godaddy and I just can't get it to run right (or at all).

Can anyone running their own setup on the new version recommend a host I can get on and roll with?

Thanks

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
I've never done it, but in my experience GoDaddy's GUI interfaces are pretty limiting so I'm not surprised. Maybe I'm old school but if I can't ssh into the server then it's useless to me. I also find that their curated versions of Apache and PHP have odd access restrictions that make using prepackaged software more difficult out of the box.

At a glance on their website, it looks like this could easily be hosted on a tiny LAMP server at AWS or a similar cloud provider.

If you're hosting a beer event, I bet there's someone involved with the right skills to get this set up in an hour or two at most. Just ask around for anyone with LAMP stack experience and they should be able to follow those instructions pretty easily. You could try having them resurrect the GoDaddy attempt, but if you're not out much money a fresh crack at it via AWS or Rackspace Cloud would probably get it done faster (and cheaper in the long run).

Offline travcam

• 1st Kit
Just to thank you for the reply and let you know I was able to get the script running on another host.

If anyone else needs contest hosting, I can set up subdomains.