Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infection: Should I get new plastic fermenter and bottling bucket?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Had first infection.  If I use Iodophor on bottling bucket and fermenter (both plastic) and follow up with star san, will that take care of the foreign bacteria and/or mold or should I throw the old ones away and get new?

Thanks in advance for your advice
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Infection: Should I get new plastic fermenter and bottling bucket?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:46 pm »
What about everything else that comes into contact with your wort/beer after the boil? A good soaking in the recommended concentration of PBW, or a like product, for 12 hours and then sanitizing with Iodophor will usually do the trick.

If any of your equipment has scratches or abrasions either replace it or be prepared to do a thorough cleaning and sanitizing before every use. The cost of a bucket, 5 feet of tubing, an auto-siphon or racking cane or a couple of other small items is generally less than the batch of beer you're dumping.

If you don't see anything obvious that may have caused the infection, do a serious review of your cold side brewing practices. From my 10 or so years of brewing I can tell you that, at least where I live, it isn't east to produce an infected beer. Take that as a grain of salt. I live in the high desert where we don't have fleas or termites either:)

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 07:12:07 am »
A bucket is cheaper than a batch of beer, so I'd vote to replace if you have any hunches that they're the source of your infection.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:32:06 am »
Thorough clean followed by thorough sanitation will do the trick, but you need to do that for everything cold-side that came in contact with that beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »
A bucket is cheaper than a batch of beer, so I'd vote to replace if you have any hunches that they're the source of your infection.

+1 to this. And get some new plastic tubing as well.