Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic taste in my homebrew  (Read 3359 times)

Offline WWBF

• 1st Kit
Plastic taste in my homebrew
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:46:10 pm »
I made a batch of red ale a while back and it has an off taste of plastic. What could be the cause? Water? I used bottled water to brew but i used tap water to sterilize everything while brewing.   

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Plastic taste in my homebrew
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:55:47 pm »
It could be the tap water, but I think that's pretty unlikely.  Maybe an infection.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:02:23 pm »
Without more detail about the recipe and brewing process, we are shooting in the dark a bit.

For me, most of the plastic/medicinal tastes come from chlorophenols, which is the result of not properly handling the source water for your brew. This is true of both all grain and extract brews. The use of campden tablets or metabisulfites to remove both chlorine and chloramines from your water source should eliminate the issue. Chlorine is readily handled by filtration through an active charcoal filter, but watch the speed of filtration. Chloramines tend to break through filtration as they are much more stable, but can be consumed by active charcoal or charcoal block filters if the contact time is adequate. Campden is cheap and easy.

Another possibility is yeast health. Dramatic underpitching of yeast, stressors such as not tempering the yeast to the wort fermentation temperature, lack of temperature controls (fermenting too hot), lack of oxygen, can all promote phenolic off flavors. I have gotten big phenols from yeast that I stored improperly, despite making a starter. I suspect contamination in that batch of yeast.

Bottled water should not have chlorine, and it seems unlikely that the residual water from sterilization would cause a strong plastic off flavor. Did you use anything specifically that would add a strong plastic flavor?
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 03:12:58 pm »
+1 for your tap water

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 03:15:21 pm »
It could be the tap water, but I think that's pretty unlikely.  Maybe an infection.
Why unlikely? I'd say that's the first variable to check. Add some campden to the tap water before adding your sanitizer

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 03:21:29 pm »
Why unlikely? I'd say that's the first variable to check. Add some campden to the tap water before adding your sanitizer

I can't imagine there's enough water left to taste the chlorine.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:29:17 pm »
From what I remember, the taste threshold is crazy low.

I'm sure Bryan or Martin will know, but looking around it it's less than one ppb in water.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:35:35 pm by Stevie »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 03:42:26 pm »
From what I remember, the taste threshold is crazy low.

I'm sure Bryan or Martin will know, but looking around it it's less than one ppb in water.

Seems like you'd also have to take into account the amount of water left in the equipment.  If there's a total of 1/4 tsp. of water left, spread over all the surfaces, is that enough?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 05:31:12 pm »
I made a batch of red ale a while back and it has an off taste of plastic. What could be the cause? Water? I used bottled water to brew but i used tap water to sterilize everything while brewing.

What did you add to your tap water to make your sanitizer? 

Plasticy notes can also be a sign of a wild yeast infection. Is it more light plastic, or bandaid like?

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »

I recently got a case of bottled water from the store (to drink, not to brew with), and all of the water had a plastic taste to it. I wonder if maybe you ran into a similar situation.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:55:18 pm »
Could be dirty bottles or kegs.  I tasted medicinal phenols a friends beer.  I assumed it was a water problem (chlorine) or a sanitization issue.  Turns out it was a cleaning issue.  I noticed a light film on the bottles only visible when held to light.  The bottles looked clean but weren't.  A hot pbw soak followed by sanitizer solved the problem.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 01:54:18 pm »
it could be a wild yeast contamination.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge