Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aging in kegs: when to fine  (Read 2646 times)

Offline HenryL65

• 1st Kit
  • Georgia on my mind...
Aging in kegs: when to fine
« on: August 17, 2017, 07:34:49 am »
I've been brewing for almost 4 years now, but I am constantly finding I have gaps between when beers are ready (I tend to drink them too quickly). In an effort to alleviate this, I'm hoping to build up a brew backlog where I have at least one beer aging/conditioning while another is on tap. Generally, I fine my beers that aren't particularly dark (SRM of less than 20). I cold crash, then use gelatin. My question is this: if I cold crash a brew, use gelatin and let it settle for a few days, then rack to a keg and store at room temp, will I disrupt the aging/conditioning process? Will there be enough yeast left in suspension after fining to continue to do their work?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Aging in kegs: when to fine
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:14:03 pm »
If you're kegging, why do you want yeast in suspension?  What work do you want them to do after you fine and keg the beer?

Are you naturally carbonating? 

I've found that given time, pretty much all beers will drop bright.  Fining I use for stubborn beer or for something I want ready (clear) sooner.  When I fine, my goal is to get as much haze (yeast, protein, whatever) out as possible.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HenryL65

• 1st Kit
  • Georgia on my mind...
Re: Aging in kegs: when to fine
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:03:47 am »
I'm hoping to age/condition/mellow in the kegs rather than a carboy (less light, better seal against oxygen, convenience, etc). Ideally, I would fine the beer, transfer to keg, then store at room temp until ready to carb (forced) and consume.

My understanding is that for proper aging/conditioning to take place, a certain amount of yeast would need to remain in suspension. I wasn't sure if fining would remove too much. I suppose I could cold crash, rack to the keg, and then fine when ready to consume....just means the first few pours might have some glunk/sediment. Does this make sense at all?