Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brew day calculator/spreadsheet?  (Read 4775 times)

Offline NickPurr

• 1st Kit
brew day calculator/spreadsheet?
« on: August 05, 2017, 04:43:16 pm »
Anyone know a good program i can get on my phone or computer to allow me to formulate beer and mead recipes? I tried beer smith for mobile and did not like it. a free program would be preferred but I'm not apposed to paying a few bucks for a good one. thanks.
The godly tongue distills honey, mankind's tether of amber and gold.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: brew day calculator/spreadsheet?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:23:14 pm »
Have not tried any mobile apps. I use bs2 on my laptop and have it by my side every brew day. No complaints except it's not mobile . I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's how I roll. Take my laptop to work or wherever and I can open up the app and play around with whatever is next on the docket

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:32:15 pm »
Have not tried any mobile apps. I use bs2 on my laptop and have it by my side every brew day. No complaints except it's not mobile . I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's how I roll. Take my laptop to work or wherever and I can open up the app and play around with whatever is next on the docket

Same here, Frank.
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:52:31 pm »
One of the advantages of doing everything beer related in Excel, besides ultimate flexibility, is that the Excel mobile app is phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline BrewBama

brew day calculator/spreadsheet?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 07:16:56 am »
One of the advantages of doing everything beer related in Excel, besides ultimate flexibility, is that the Excel mobile app is phenomenal.

+1. Here's a screenshot of my spreadsheet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:36:18 am by BrewBama »

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:13 am »

+1. Here's a screenshot of my spreadsheet

Nice sheet! I like being able to tailor everything to what we need.

Here is the latest iteration of the custom Beerery sheet I made:

Some of the formatting is off from grabbing the screenshot (the borders aren't thick and bold in the real sheet) but you get the idea.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 08:38:38 am »
The simplicity of my system is definitely evident when placed next to yours. Awesome. Cheers!

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:01:42 am »
Anyone know a good program i can get on my phone or computer to allow me to formulate beer and mead recipes? I tried beer smith for mobile and did not like it. a free program would be preferred but I'm not apposed to paying a few bucks for a good one. thanks.

Check out BrewR it's a simple brewing app to formulate recipes. It doesn't do anything else, if that's what you are looking for. It is just recipe formulation, very handy to play around on when ideas strike.

Offline NickPurr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:40:40 pm »

it is a mobile app now it is what i was using on my phone but i couldn't really figure it out

Offline NickPurr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:44:06 pm »
sweet, thanks everyone. ill have to look into Excel (not great at it) and the Brewsmith desktop app and see how i like it.

Offline Andrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 02:59:47 pm »

it is a mobile app now it is what i was using on my phone but i couldn't really figure it out
The beersmith mobile app could use some UI love (clunky) but I use it consistently.  Like you, I had trouble using it to begin with but I muscled through it b/c it has so many valuable features. Still trying to swing a personal laptop so I can use the desktop version.
Have you looked at Keg Ninja? It's 100% web based iirc. I've only toyed around with it but it may be able to accomplish much of what you're looking for.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 10:04:18 pm »
Beersmith desktop is awesome. Beersmith app was a waste of my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 06:57:15 am »
I agree - desktop BS2 is great, but the mobile app has limited capabilities. It's fine for carrying around a number of recipes (e.g., handy at brew club meetings when someone asks for recipe details) and as a convenient reference guide for styles and ingredients. It also has some nice timers, tools and converters (that I honestly don't really use). I do wish it had a way to carry my shopping list for me from the desktop version to my homebrew store - I have to print it out now (how 1980's!).

I don't miss not being able to formulate or adjust recipes on the mobile version. I would rarely have any need for that, and I'd much rather do it on a full screen and keyboard over my phone anyway.

All things considered, the BeerSmith combo is the best commercial product(s) I've found. YMMV