Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repurposing old cell phone - looking for ideas  (Read 2439 times)

Offline DockDogsBeer

• 1st Kit
    • Twitter: @DockDogsBeer
Repurposing old cell phone - looking for ideas
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:57:45 pm »
So this idea has been floating around my head for awhile, but I'm not quite sure the best way to implement it.

I have a couple old cell phones that I have collected over the years (and we are at that point where we could upgrade our current phones soon...) and I always thought it would be cool to repurpose one for something brewing related. I have seen the TV Tap Handles - but from what I can tell they just display a picture or slideshow. That would be easy enough to do, but I want to see if there are any ideas to take it further.

I'm thinking maybe a tap handle that plays a sound when it dispenses beer. I would need some kind of program to sense the motion and then play a sound file - I'm not sure if any app like that currently exists.

Or maybe a way for it to keep track of how many pours I dispense. Again, it would need a way to keep track of the motion of the tap handle.

I already use one of my old cell phones to store all of my music. I could make it be a jukebox/tap handle, connected through bluetooth to a nearby speaker.

I think it would be kind of fun to use at beerfests or parties - it's probably not super practical for every day use.

Any other ideas? Or any ideas of apps that have a function that would work well in tap-handle format?
"Pour yourself a drink or three and maybe we'll think clearly for awhile"
-The Fratellis

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Repurposing old cell phone - looking for ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:01:14 pm »
You could duct tape the old cell phone to a tap handle and keep a sharpie nearby. Everytime you pour a beer use the sharpie to make a mark on the duct taped cell phone, keeping track of how many beers you had.
That's what I would do.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Repurposing old cell phone - looking for ideas
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:09:05 pm »
I wonder if a step counter would register a pour as a step?