Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Howdy, and beer share review  (Read 1297 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Howdy, and beer share review
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:01:54 pm »
Hey there everyone!

Life has been way busy here. I survived a few months of "No forum", as well as the past 8 months with no tv news... (winky thing).

I paused brewing for a bit. Too hot, and too fat. I'm down about 35 lbs and I think by December I might actually really enjoy brewing a batch, rather than viewing it like some goal to be achieved.

I added a new hobby, steelhead fishing. Of course I took it up on a year that has been a near record low for fish returns... and I decided simply catching steelhead seems too easy, so I had to learn to spey cast flies for them. Which lead to me buying a drift boat. Last week was my first solo trip down the Klickitat. A whole other hobby in itself...

Anyway. I miss you nerds! I'm fine. All is well despite what the news may be telling you.

Jimmykx250 sent me a few beers! He got some leftover Simcoe hops from me and decided to reciprocate. UPS showed up one day and surprised me. Figured I'd been scammed, lol. Pleasant surprise instead.

One of the beers was some "forum recipe". Um, I bet he followed it precisely. But this forum needs some help apparently. But right now I am enjoying, honestly, one of the best old school Barleywines I've ever had. He gave me very little info, just that it's a Barleywine and it's 2 years old.

Holy smokes! I've judged big beers at pro level at a national competition. This would easily make mini BOS easily.

It's well made and clean. Nose is rich, brandy like. Malt fwd, hops... we ho knows. Deep copper appearance, and would have been near brilliant if I hadn't dumped a slug of bottle conditioning in the glass. Bright white, creamy head, that dissipates rapidly as expected to a long lasting ring. A little lace and lots of leg. Flavor is bold and balanced. Rich barley malty goodness,  reminds me totally of a hot schotchie on a wee heavy brew day. Warm but not hot at all. You could tell me it's oaked and is believe it, but probably it isn't. Which is perfect! It's a big badass beer, so of course it's not quaffable, and it's mega full bodied, but not cloying or off putting at all. Mouthfull... enjoy... swallow... enjoy some more... in a few seconds your looking for another pull. It's August and I did chores all day. I'm choosing THIS over light lager. He sent me two bottles. The second is getting cracked in November after a day of catching chinook and coho. THEN it will reeeeeealy shine!

Fantastic job Jimmy! I mean It! Thanks!

Jim

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Howdy, and beer share review
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:06:01 pm »
Jim, glad to hear from ya!
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
Hey there!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:33 pm »
Jim! I was just wondering what you had been up to a couple of days ago.

Fish those steelies, drink some good beer, think about brewing some good beer. Then brew that beer and drink it. I think your life will be good.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:15 pm »
Good to hear from you Jim!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:11:31 am »
Jim
Glad you enjoyed the barleywine. It was a group brew and it did sit in a oak barrel for a year. Thanks for taking the time to review my beer. Hope you enjoy the others as well. I can post the recipe if you want. Let me know.
Jimmykx250