Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye IPA  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
Rye IPA
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »
So I have never brewed a rye beer. I like the taste of most rye beers I have had. Unfortunately I haven't had much in the IPA department maybe a few DIPA and TRIPAs. So I am shooting for a mild rye taste with more of a citrus/melon taste/aroma coming from the hops. Here is what I have:

Malts:
12 lbs Pale 2 row US
3 lbs Rye Malt

Hops:
2 oz Centenial (60 min)
1 oz Mosiac (30 min)
1 oz Citra (10 min)
1 oz Mosaic (Flameout)

Yeast:
1 pkg California Ale yeast

So that's what I have. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I look forward to your guy's and gals advice and help.   

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rye IPA
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 03:49:15 pm »
I have a rye IPA recipe that's been pretty well received, but it's more dank than citrus.  I'd be happy to post it if you'd like to see it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:07:08 pm »
I have a rye IPA recipe that's been pretty well received, but it's more dank than citrus.  I'd be happy to post it if you'd like to see it.

Yeah I'd be curious to see what other rye ipas look like!

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 12:42:03 am »
Why of course we'd like to see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.”-Homer J Simpson

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:29:57 am »
My Rye APA just got a gold medal at the First Coast Cup in Jacksonville.  I used a lot of Denny's ideas to make it and just rebrewed it Sunday. 
72% 2-row, 18% Rye malt, 7% Crystal 60 and 3% Carapils approximately.  First wort hopped with Mount Hood, Citra for 60 minute bittering and again at 10 minutes.  Dry hopped with Mount Hood.  1056 yeast.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:08:16 am »

I have Denny's RIPA on tap as I type.  It's about the only IPA I make.  Not a big hop head but his recipe works for me. 

I do tend to struggle with sparging it though.  Likely my process/cooler than anything else. I just like to let people new to rye know that it can get a bit sticky. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:14:50 am »

I have Denny's RIPA on tap as I type.  It's about the only IPA I make.  Not a big hop head but his recipe works for me. 

I do tend to struggle with sparging it though.  Likely my process/cooler than anything else. I just like to let people new to rye know that it can get a bit sticky. 

Paul

I know some people have a problem with it, but I never have.  And I've made it a LOT!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:15:36 am »
   I've recently started adding rice hulls to mashes with adjuncts, especially rye. As little a 1/4 lb. of hulls in a 15 lb. grain bill can make a substantial difference in "stickiness" and runoff time, especially when coupled with a thinner mash.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:50:36 am »
   I've recently started adding rice hulls to mashes with adjuncts, especially rye. As little a 1/4 lb. of hulls in a 15 lb. grain bill can make a substantial difference in "stickiness" and runoff time, especially when coupled with a thinner mash.

Or you could change your lauter system so you don't need them.  Using the braid I have never had a stuck or slow runoff even using up to 60% rye malt.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:35 am »

Yeah I'd be curious to see what other rye ipas look like!

Here it is....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DCRyeIPA

www.dennybrew.com

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:18:56 am »
Thanks for posting Denny. I have a question on your hop additions. What does   First WH mean on that mt hood hop?

1.00 oz.    Mt. Hood                          Whole    5.10   6.0  First WH
  1.25 oz.    Columbus                          Whole   16.00  64.8  60 min.

“You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.”-Homer J Simpson

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 10:40:41 am »
Thanks for posting Denny. I have a question on your hop additions. What does   First WH mean on that mt hood hop?

1.00 oz.    Mt. Hood                          Whole    5.10   6.0  First WH
  1.25 oz.    Columbus                          Whole   16.00  64.8  60 min.

First wort hop...you add them to the kettle as you run off the mash and leave them in through the boil.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 11:17:31 am »
Thanks!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:51:15 am »

Or you could change your lauter system so you don't need them.  Using the braid I have never had a stuck or slow runoff even using up to 60% rye malt.

Unfortunately, I use a braid and still have trouble.  I know it's something or other I'm doing but I just haven't found it yet.  It seems I don't brew any one recipe often enough to do much troubleshooting.

My next challenge is trying to dial in my new 3 roller mill.  My efficiency took a big hit on the first batch.  But again, I haven't had time to brew for 3 months so I'll start that over again once things slow down. 

Back on the tracks...  Denny's recipe is a great one to start with.  One of my favs.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 12:03:29 pm »

Unfortunately, I use a braid and still have trouble.  I know it's something or other I'm doing but I just haven't found it yet.  It seems I don't brew any one recipe often enough to do much troubleshooting.

My next challenge is trying to dial in my new 3 roller mill.  My efficiency took a big hit on the first batch.  But again, I haven't had time to brew for 3 months so I'll start that over again once things slow down. 

Back on the tracks...  Denny's recipe is a great one to start with.  One of my favs.

Paul

Sorry to hear that, Paul.  Have you tried the Lasco braid I use?  As to the mill, my advice is to crush til you're scared!

www.dennybrew.com