Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye IPA  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Rye IPA
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »

Unfortunately, I use a braid and still have trouble.  I know it's something or other I'm doing but I just haven't found it yet.  It seems I don't brew any one recipe often enough to do much troubleshooting.

My next challenge is trying to dial in my new 3 roller mill.  My efficiency took a big hit on the first batch.  But again, I haven't had time to brew for 3 months so I'll start that over again once things slow down. 

Back on the tracks...  Denny's recipe is a great one to start with.  One of my favs.

Paul

Sorry to hear that, Paul.  Have you tried the Lasco braid I use?  As to the mill, my advice is to crush til you're scared!

Not sure of the brand of the braid.  The biggest I have right now is time and space.  We're adding on to our house and it 's all a mess.  Someday I'll get back to brewing.

Thanks!
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »

Not sure of the brand of the braid.  The biggest I have right now is time and space.  We're adding on to our house and it 's all a mess.  Someday I'll get back to brewing.

Thanks!

I hear ya....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 05:14:53 pm »
Water profile used?

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 09:14:07 am »
Brewing this beer for the first time in 14 years or so today.  Also first time with a healthy pitch of 1450.  Looking forward to this classic!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 09:45:27 am »
Brewing this beer for the first time in 14 years or so today.  Also first time with a healthy pitch of 1450.  Looking forward to this classic!

I gotta get a batch of the cranked out

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Rye IPA
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 09:55:26 am »

Ever consider throwing 5% or so of C-40 or 60 in this for a bit of color?  ...or maybe Choc Rye?  ...or would that detract from the recipe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:57:00 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:51 am »

Ever consider throwing 5% or so of C-40 or 60 in this for a bit of color?  ...or maybe Choc Rye?  ...or would that detract from the recipe?

Its already got a pretty heavy dose of C60.  I've tried chocolate rye in it and didn't feel like it worked or was necessary.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 10:05:47 am »
Oh, I was going by post No1.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 11:42:17 am »

Oops!  Lost track of what we were talking about.  Par for the course.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 03:32:33 pm »

My bad- I posted to the wrong Rye IPA thread!  I guess I assumed Denny's was the only one?

Whatever- today's brew day brought me back to when I first started all-grain brewing back in 2005 or so.  Before (most of the) proprietary hops, before the massive popularity of IPA.  Reminded me what its like to do an IPA without the citrus and pine notes.  Should be a great palate cleanser from my last Chinook/Cascade IPA that kicked a week or so ago.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 08:03:38 pm »
Denny is being modest fellas. His Wry Smile IPA is nearly world famous. It has been one of my favorites for over a decade now and I poured myself a glass just before sitting down to browse this forum.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 08:06:31 am »
Denny is being modest fellas. His Wry Smile IPA is nearly world famous. It has been one of my favorites for over a decade now and I poured myself a glass just before sitting down to browse this forum.

That is one delicious beer. Years ago I got on a jag and brewed it four times in a row (considering I am an occasional brewer, that's a lot). I haven't brewed beer in nearly a year (is that a song?) though I made cider last fall, and now that I finally have the time to squeeze in a brew day next week... maybe that's the one.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 08:31:12 am »

That is one delicious beer. Years ago I got on a jag and brewed it four times in a row (considering I am an occasional brewer, that's a lot). I haven't brewed beer in nearly a year (is that a song?) though I made cider last fall, and now that I finally have the time to squeeze in a brew day next week... maybe that's the one.

Must be the season....just dry hopped a batch yesterday.

www.dennybrew.com