Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Quality  (Read 4238 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Water Quality
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:04:54 am »
So, out and around town for work. I have my 2 5 gallon RO bottles with me and my TDS meter to be safe. I wind up in a branch of our huge grocery chain that I have not been in before. I don't know if they have an RO machine or not, so I go in to scout it out. I take my meter just in case. As I walk through the produce section, I see the machine just past the salad bar. I pick up a 2oz empty dressing container from the salad bar to draw a test sample into. So glad I tested it. 2 spigots on the machine, one tested at 197ppm and the other at 200ppm. Guess I need to make another stop elsewhere; and I'm glad this isn't the store closest to home. The machine had a sticker on it saying it was serviced on 7/27/17, so at 2 weeks, it either gets a ton of use or got a shabby service job. Thanks go out to Hoosierbrew for recommending the cheap pocket TDS meter that just saved my next brew day from disaster!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Water Quality
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:36:05 am »
Good to hear, Frank. It's cheap protection. I've seen the same many times - an inspection sticker within the month and water with unacceptably high TDS. Inspections are obviously a joke at many places. The meter is a great cheap purchase.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:38:17 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:33 am »
Did the machine say it was RO?

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
Yes, same Glacier dispenser that all the Kroger's around town have

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 11:03:12 am »
Yes, same Glacier dispenser that all the Kroger's around town have

Our local Kroger stores all have Glacier RO machines. Some are notorious for high TDS water and recent inspection stickers. Pretty sure the inspections get pencil whipped.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:38:12 pm »
7ppm at the next location I hit. So much better. Service date if 8/10/17. Proper work done I guess

Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 02:35:40 pm »
7ppm at the next location I hit. So much better. Service date if 8/10/17. Proper work done I guess

Much better!
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:49:27 am »
Man, I stopped testing mine after a couple times hitting the mark.  I'll have to bring the TDS meter along next time. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:21:47 am »
Question- why do grocery stores offer RO water rather than just carbon filtered?  What else are people using this water for?  If I'm not mistaken, its not a particularly good idea to drink RO water straight because it strips minerals from our bodies.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, its not a particularly good idea to drink RO water straight because it strips minerals from our bodies.

That's an idiotic internet statement. There are plenty of people around the world that drink rainwater. Rainwater is often as pure or purer than RO water. RO does not strip minerals from your body. The only thing it does is not supply minerals. Fortunately, we typically get all the minerals we need for metabolism from our foods.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 02:44:42 pm »
Question- why do grocery stores offer RO water rather than just carbon filtered?  What else are people using this water for?  If I'm not mistaken, its not a particularly good idea to drink RO water straight because it strips minerals from our bodies.

You are indeed mistaken.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 04:53:22 pm »
Thanks for dispelling that internet nonsense, Martin. The net can be a great thing but unfortunately is also a source of bogus (even dangerous) info.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:07 pm »

Man, I stopped testing mine after a couple times hitting the mark.  I'll have to bring the TDS meter along next time. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

JT, this was easily the largest variance I have seen, but I always bring my meter, at least for the last 2+ years. Usually right where I want it, but definitely some screwy results occasionally

Frank L.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 08:45:14 pm »
Portland OR has water close to RO as far as TDS,and better than some machines around here They seem to be pretty healthy out there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 09:39:30 pm »
Portland OR has water close to RO as far as TDS,and better than some machines around here They seem to be pretty healthy out there.

:)

Jon H.