Author Topic: First lager brew.  (Read 1530 times)

Offline The Beerery

• Senior Brewmaster
  • More you know, the more you know you don't know!
    • View Profile
Re: First lager brew.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »
Is a 90 minute boil absolutely necessary for pilsner malt?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

With the fervor at which us homebrewrs boil, this is not a thing. DMS is also a pH thing, the higher the pH the faster the removal. I am able to reliably produce dms with a low pH (5.2 at mash and  start of boil), a low boil off% (sub 6%) and a 60 minute boil. So it can be a thing, just a FYI, and its horrible.
Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel!
(Oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.)
Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com (Now with forums)
"Consistently successful brewers are invariably the ones who operate low oxygen systems." -George Fix Circa 1999
Taplist and Fermentation Cellar
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change"

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »

With the fervor at which us homebrewrs boil, this is not a thing. DMS is also a pH thing, the higher the pH the faster the removal. I am able to reliably produce dms with a low pH (5.2 at mash and  start of boil), a low boil off% (sub 6%) and a 60 minute boil. So it can be a thing, just a FYI, and its horrible.
If I'm reading this correctly. During your experiments you were able to produce DMS,  and in order to avoid it I should..

Keep mash pH higher than 5.2.
Boil off rate should be above 6% for 90 minutes.

I should probably start with a small batch and see what works for my system.

Offline The Beerery

• Senior Brewmaster
  • More you know, the more you know you don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »

If I'm reading this correctly. During your experiments you were able to produce DMS,  and in order to avoid it I should..

I am just a single data point. I am not telling you really what to avoid, but more so what I have seen.

It's a tough dilemma: As there are draw backs to changing any of those variables.

What I have done with my system is to start to mash a little higher say 5.4, then I keep all other variables the same.

I get a little less oxidation reduction potential from the pH, but I get more alpha activity.

Boiling longer than 60 min can hurt foam, but may rid DMS if you have an issue. I wouldn't jump from 60 right to 90 if there is a problem, I would use increments of 10 minutes. YOu can smell when the DMS is gone.
Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel!
(Oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.)
Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com (Now with forums)
"Consistently successful brewers are invariably the ones who operate low oxygen systems." -George Fix Circa 1999
Taplist and Fermentation Cellar
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change"

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »

I am just a single data point. I am not telling you really what to avoid, but more so what I have seen.

It's a tough dilemma: As there are draw backs to changing any of those variables.

What I have done with my system is to start to mash a little higher say 5.4, then I keep all other variables the same.

I get a little less oxidation reduction potential from the pH, but I get more alpha activity.

Boiling longer than 60 min can hurt foam, but may rid DMS if you have an issue. I wouldn't jump from 60 right to 90 if there is a problem, I would use increments of 10 minutes. YOu can smell when the DMS is gone.
I appreciate your input Bryan. I will take everyones help into consideration during that brew day.