Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can anyone suggest some nice beers?  (Read 5933 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Can anyone suggest some nice beers?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 08:54:05 am »
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/life/food/beer/2017/05/27/fort-collins-brewery-close-after-sale-canadian-brewery/351303001/

This is an interesting story, although it doesn't make a lot of sense (not sure the sales ever do make sense unless the place is going under).. they just revamped their beer line up, added a can line, renovating a restaurant and then poof... gone.  It will reopen though under the Red Truck name, so the "location" will still be there, just not as FCB.  Suggests spring of 2018 as when it will reopen as Red Truck. 

The article also mentions 3 other breweries that have recently closed in FTC, so not good news for that area.

I didn't know about this. My guess from the article is that they spent money expanding the business thinking it would make them more competitive to sell thinking the new buyer would keep the FCB name alive.

I don't think FCB had a great market position. I can't recall ever seeing them on tap anywhere in Colorado other than the brewery. I barely recall seeing them in bottle shops in the state. Mostly twelve packs and a few bombers. Strange that they were so absent from their own market having been around for so long. I never heard people saying good things about them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 02:50:05 pm »
Interesting. FCB had the same recipes of H.C. Berger that disaappeared back in the day. Red Banshee was a beer that was around back then and recreated by FCB. Somehow they were connected but not sure how
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 08:43:04 am »
Interesting. FCB had the same recipes of H.C. Berger that disaappeared back in the day. Red Banshee was a beer that was around back then and recreated by FCB. Somehow they were connected but not sure how

FCB bought out H.C. Berger.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 11:25:34 am »
There ya go. There was quite a gap there so thought they just reopened with a new name.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »
A note if you're looking for "classic" examples, the BJCP guidelines have "classic" examples of listed at the end of each style.

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

A recommendation from them for stouts: Avery Out of Bounds Stout,
Deschutes Obsidian Stout, North Coast Old No. 38, Rogue
Shakespeare Stout, Sierra Nevada Stout

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:10 pm »
You've got some great breweries in Ft. Collins. I'd start with your local beers.

Couldn't agree with this more. Visit Odell.
Also New Belgium offers a great tour for you to sample.  I'm sure there's a good craft beer store close to you as well who should be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk