Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much buckwheat?  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
How much buckwheat?
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:40:23 am »
Just read the latest issue of BYO magazine about brewing with ancient grains and would like to make a buckwheat porter in the 5% ABV range.

I would like to get a bit of the nutty flavor buckwheat is supposed to offer without it dominating.

My questions:

Malted or toasted or roasted?

And what percentage of the grain bill?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: How much buckwheat?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:32:28 am »
I've gotten noticeable but not aggressive flavor at as little as 5%. That was in a saison. In a porter I might think about 10-15%.

This was unmalted, plain buckwheat.

If you have Indian/Asian/Latin grocery stores in your area you should find buckwheat hidden away somewhere for a good price. Usually at Asian or Latin stores you'll find it among their Indian ingredients. They'll only carry unmalted buckwheat though.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:30:45 am »
Do you grind it with the rest of your grains and then add to the mash or do you so something else with it?

Thanks

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:29 am »
If you just care about flavor contribution you could throw it in the mash along with the other grains. If you also want conversion then you'll want to do a cereal mash or at least give the buckwheat a good long boil.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:13:54 pm »
Malted buckwheat is available.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:25 am »
I'll probably use unmalted buckwheat as I can get it locally.  If I order it, I'll have to pay shipping.  However, if someone could convince me that malted buckwheat would provide more flavor, I would use it.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 04:14:40 pm »
I'll probably use unmalted buckwheat as I can get it locally.  If I order it, I'll have to pay shipping.  However, if someone could convince me that malted buckwheat would provide more flavor, I would use it.

I've never used it, but I have used millet malt with good success and just bought some rice malt to experiment with.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women