Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Avoiding bottle bombs with fruit beers?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Avoiding bottle bombs with fruit beers?
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:15 pm »
I have been planning a fresh apricot IPA for my next brew. I was talking to a couple of brewery employees yesterday at a local beer festival and one indicated that they had to recall their first distribution attempt at a fruit beer due to exploding cans. Is this most likely a situation with canning too quickly? What is the best time to add fresh fruit during fermentation and what indications should one see to know it's ready to bottle?
I feel like a steady gravity reading over a period of time, but wondering what others have experienced with their fruit beers?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Avoiding bottle bombs with fruit beers?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:20:26 pm »
They likely introduced a wild yeast or bacteria on the fresh peach. Add fruit as fermentation winds down, let ferment, measure until stable, package.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: Avoiding bottle bombs with fruit beers?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »
They likely introduced a wild yeast or bacteria on the fresh peach. Add fruit as fermentation winds down, let ferment, measure until stable, package.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm trying to reduce my chances of introducing wild yeast. I Peeled the apricots then chopped them up, vacuum sealed them then soaked the bag in a water bath at 165-170 for 20 minutes. Then in the freezer. Hopefully this will do the trick. ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 04:14:04 pm »
In the past I have used quality frozen organic fruit and never had any issues.
I find freezing helped by breaking down the cell wall of the fruit and made the extraction of goodness quicker.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:52:12 pm »
i believe campden tablets in your fruit will mitigate any chances of bombing too... but either way, time would be a good answer.  let it all finish off and you won't have any problems.